Thoughts on these Koi

Reaction score
Here are my new guys!!!! The guy at the pet store said something about the yellow one being a German koi? Whateve's, love them both!!!

Yellow Butterfly.jpg

Gin rin.jpg

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
doitsu koi are originally from Germany. doitsu means scaless even tho theyre not totally. usually 2 rows, one on either side of the dorsal fin and a couple large down the lateral line.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Looks nice.
German koi? Learned something new today..
I would call it Doitsu.
dp how are people going to learn if your like this eh ? :(
Priscilla, the large scaled koi is a doitsu or German koi , this stems from a gift to the Japanse Emperor by the Germans of a large scaled common carp.
This was then bred with Japanese koi and out of the resultant mix you got the Doitsu koi as a result .
Doitsu is the nearest the Japanese could get to pronoucing the German Deutschland , so doitsu they became.
If you buy a fish that is in any of the 12 classifications of koi but it has Doitsu scales then you must transfix Doitsu before the classification so a Showa would become a Doitsu Showa , a Sanke a Diotsu Sanke, a Tancho a Doitsu Tancho etc.
Your koi are butterfly koi which means they were crossed with the Indonesian River Carp and a Koi Carp, thus giving you the Butterfly koi .
I hope this helps you learn some of the pronouciations you#ll need to get your head around
As to what koi they are.......? well the Silvery Grey one if it has grey diamonds on its back would be a Matsuba .and the yellow one just a plain old yellow ghost koi :)
I hope this has helped you Priscilla (y) ?

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
dp how are people going to learn if your like this eh ? :(

Dave

Dave what sort of response were you expecting from me? The first thing I said was a compliment. The second thing I said was that I learned something new, which is a fact. The third thing I did was to be the first person in the thread to identify the fish. And that is all I know about that fish. Should I have done a google search so that I could provide a history lesson about the fish? Or is that something that the OP could have easily done on their own if that's the OP wanted to know more?
What exactly is your problem with my post?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Dave what sort of response were you expecting from me? The first thing I said was a compliment. The second thing I said was that I learned something new, which is a fact. The third thing I did was to be the first person in the thread to identify the fish. And that is all I know about that fish. Should I have done a google search so that I could provide a history lesson about the fish? Or is that something that the OP could have easily done on their own if that's the OP wanted to know more?
What exactly is your problem with my post?
You came across other than that my friend but as to having a problem with it no not at all(after you explained it), by the way dp what was it you learned then ?
The cheaper koi as you call them are the fish that get people into the koi hobby propper most of us koi keepers still have a few of the lesser koi as you put them .
We had a chap who bought a £1.50 Aka Bekko that acctually grew into a jumbo grand champion worth £1,000 after that one win so it can and does happen mate

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
You came across other than that my friend but as to having a problem with it no not at all(after you explained it), by the way dp what was it you learned then ?
The cheaper koi as you call them are the fish that get people into the koi hobby propper most of us koi keepers still have a few of the lesser koi as you put them .
We had a chap who bought a £1.50 Aka Bekko that acctually grew into a jumbo grand champion worth £1,000 after that one win so it can and does happen mate

Dave
I can see you're just looking to bicker so have fun with that...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
thought never entred my head so no I'm not dp I'm interested thats all ?
I thought you might like to know the route many budding loi kee[pers take to the BKKS or AKCA many do it by falling in love with these lesser koi , and the chap who's koi was bought cheap but took Grand champion was Graham Kitson our former treasurer so it can and does happen a cheap little koi can go on to win big

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Yep mate as I explained doitsu comes from their inability to say Deutschland and thus these German koi mixed with Japanese fish to give us the doitsu
Now the most weve ever paid was £125.00 for a koi but we normally buy at the £35- 50.00 range .

Dave

Last edited:

Ask a Question