Tiny, transparent organisms attached to my feet when exiting my pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
I stepped into my backyard pond today to repair an air hose and when I got out, I noticed about 50, small (3 mm), transparent, larvae looking critters attached to my feet. Water alone would not wash them off, they were fastened, like a leach. I’ve never noticed them before and do t know if they are good or bad. The pond is about 400 gal with hyacinth, water lilies, kankong, Papyrus, guppies and 2 red-eared, slider. Any ideas? Good, bad? Ph is around 7.4, and N, P, and oxygen levels all good.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Like these?
Most likely leeches.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, this is what I have. Still not clear based on that post if they are harmful or just another source of protein. I will do some research.

Thanks!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1659108338584.gif
@deakos
The fish will eat them and I went in a river once and came out w/them all over my legs. I just brushed them off and no issues from them. If the leaches are too big for your little guppies to eat, I don't know if the turtle will eat them. Maybe put in a few bigger fish (goldfish) to gobble them up?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Leaches suck blood from you, fish, turtles, frogs , pretty much anything if i had a 400 gallon like yours id probably try a kuli loach or clown loach from a pet store place some leaches in a bag with the loach and see if they eat them

Ask a Question