To Cover or Not To Cover

Reaction score
Looks good. I got mine done last week,i use 2x4's so i know it wont come down, it has worked for two years now.

Reaction score
Here's the pictures of my pond covered over for the winter from last year. It's raining here today so I never got to go outside and take a picture from this year.

PondCoverPics002.jpg

This is the koi pond. It's 6100 gallons, and 4 foot deep.

PondCoverPics001.jpg

PondCoverPics003.jpg

This is the pond in my front yard, it has Comet and Shubunkins in it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Now that is one big cover.
They are all so nicely tucked in for the winter but I'm glad I don't have to do that here.
We get some cold days here but for the most part it's pretty mild.
Right now it's very cold but rain is on the way :wink:

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
After all of this time I am still having trouble understanding why people insist that their ponds need to be covered. Granted, I have a small 365 gallon pond, and this is the third winter that I didn't cover my pond. I have only added a small heater that keeps the water temp just above freezing. My fish have never showed any signs of stress or discomfort being exposed to the sky during the winter.

GOD doesn't cover the streams, ponds, and lakes. Can someone give me a good reason why they go through all of the expense and trouble of covering their ponds each winter?

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Thanks, DoDad, but Koi are carp. Carp were created by GOD himself. Carp live in water. All I am asking for is a logical reason why people feel it is so important to go through all of that expense, and trouble to cover their ponds.

Reaction score
To each his own :regular_waving_emot-- I see koi in crystal clear pools and I have caught carp out of "water" that you could just about walk on. The leaves in my pond are a pain but I would rather see my fish swimming among the leaves tham not see them for 4 months due to a cover. I circulate a lot of water (probably turn over twice an hour) and freezing is not a problem in my area.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Mine is covered and the temps stay about 55 degrees so I have my bio going all year.
It also keeps fir needles and oak leafs out and no ice. Nothing to do in the spring except take the cover off.

Reaction score
North-Eastcoaster with shovels for blizzards
DoDad said:
Mine is covered and the temps stay about 55 degrees so I have my bio going all year.
It also keeps fir needles and oak leafs out and no ice. Nothing to do in the spring except take the cover off.

DoDad, thanks for sharing of your info about the bio filter in Winter. I didn't think of the bio stuff until you mentioned it. Well, I just dropped the bio-balls into the filter. My combo-filter uses spongy-like-foams to purify water, and utilizes the bio-balls to neutralize fishies' ammonia gas --- Hmm...even in the Winter under the cover (55ish degrees) per DoDad :).

My combo filter
Alpine-Bio-Pure-Pressure-filter_cut-a-way-WO-UV.jpgA.jpg

Bio balls for the above filter, even in the Winter :regular_waving_emot
123ponds_2129_333529

By the way, this gigantic bio-filter is too big & heavy to lift and fit into the covered pond; thus I used the above combo filter to do the job.
DSC01229.jpg

oldmarine said:
After all of this time I am still having trouble understanding why people insist that their ponds need to be covered. Granted, I have a small 365 gallon pond, and this is the third winter that I didn't cover my pond. I have only added a small heater that keeps the water temp just above freezing. My fish have never showed any signs of stress or discomfort being exposed to the sky during the winter.

GOD doesn't cover the streams, ponds, and lakes. Can someone give me a good reason why they go through all of the expense and trouble of covering their ponds each winter?

As to reasons for covering my pond, well here they are:
1) To shield the pond from hungry coons & critters, flying debris and leaves, etc...
2) To keep water temperature above 50ish now or from freezing up during a harsh Winter.
3) To extend the feeding period from early November to perhaps late December in my neck of the woods, i.e., Fishies cannot be fed if below 50 degrees.
4) By covering up... hopefully I give fishies a better chance to "fat" themselves up before "hibernation" like the Polar Bears

4clip027bear.gif

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
koisRus said:
My main reason would be that next spring my pond is as clean as it is now. Next would be to keep any unwanted hungry visitors away. It cost me under $75.00 to build mine, including this for easy access. http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...n.endeca.EndecaDataBean@20eae4cc&ddkey=Search

Thank you KoisRus. Now that makes perfect sense, to keep the falling leaves out of the pond. Considering that I don't have that problem because of the location of my pond, I would never have thought of leaves being a potential problem in my pond. I do get a few now and again, but I am to pick them out with some 'as seen on TV grippers'.
Thanks again.

Ask a Question