To feed or not to feed that is the question ???

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
First of all, if a fish is breathing it is expiring Ammonia. Ammonia excretion does rise when fish feed. Here the increase in Ammonia levels is tied directly to fish load (mass) and amount of food given.
Second of all, the level of un-ionized (free) Ammonia, the toxic form, is heavily dependent on pH and temperature. If I remember correctly your pH is in the 8.0 range, which could cause a problem if the water temperature was also high. I doubt that it is at this point in time.
Thirdly, the biofilm that covers all of the pond's submerged surfaces is still functioning, and will continue to do so for some time as temperatures drop further.

Thanks. That made me feel a bit more at ease. Checking ammonia and nitrate once more, they're still 0. I'm probably feeding them lightly 2-3 times a week to make myself feel better. The water temp is now at 53F and it doesn't appear as though it will be on the rise any longer. I'm far from overstocked and yes, you do recall my pH being kept high at 8.4. Next year, it'll be quite cold before I disassemble my system, freezing cold. All the best ...

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Hi there Meyer - A Happy & Healthy 2016 to you and to all.

I was reading Dr case and now what you've written. I have similar feelings as he does. I've never gone this long with no main filtration and such warm temps. I just have my skimmer running which will run throughout the winter. I've fed the koi twice a week, watching the water parameters closely. Question is, isn't that ammonia going to raise it's ugly head even this very light feeding? I am prepared with a binder on hand but that's good for about 3 days normally if needed.

Don't get me wrong I stopped feeding , but nothing stopped with my filtration.
I only shut down when it gets real cold a few days a year

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Don't get me wrong I stopped feeding , but nothing stopped with my filtration.
I only shut down when it gets real cold a few days a year

I didn't think it got cold enough down there to have to stop feeding. My water temps are still 53F, a bit crazy for 12/31 on Long Island ... I've been feeding Honey-Nut Cheerios 2-3 times a week since I'm shut down over a month ago. I think I'm finished after seeing the weather forecast as it finally will cool down. I have my Savio running 24/7 / 365 with a 1000 watt deicer directly in front of the Savio weir. So far, it naturally hasn't come on. With that circulating back to the falls, it never freezes, not even last winter, one of our coldest. Happy & Healthy to you ....

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
You made me feel guilty , barryian
I'm in 7a
I fed the 4 Showa in my deep ponds the water is 52 deg,s

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I'm in zone 7a and stopped feeding this week and about to unplug the filtration. My fish seem to have really enjoyed the current temperatures. The koi just went to the bottom but the goldfish are still at the top. I think the goldfish might have eaten today but I didn't want to chance the weather turning cold this week.

Now I have to catch a warmer day to put the polycarbonate panel on. Except I expanded my pond this summer and didn't really think about ordering another panel. I'll check the water and probably do a water change.

Ask a Question