To feed or not to feed that is the question ???

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I've noted since I've been back talk of temperatures that are way above average for this time of year both here in the UK and in the US and there is confusion as to whether or not we should feed our fish or not .
Our ponds temperature did drop bellow 10c but since then its been 12,13,14c caused by the wet and mild weather coming up from the Carribean in the form of intense rain storms causing flooding and misery for many in the North of the UK , in fact a whole 200 year old pub was washed away completely not far from my Mum and Dads in the next town Rochdale approxinmately 3-4 miles away from where they live .
So what do we do , do we feed or not ?
Many like RobAmy and ourselves stopped feeding in November and with the pond being at the temperature it is at the moment we should really be thinking of feeding them but only a little every few days it has to be wheatgerm and Garlic and its advisable to pre-soak before feeding .
Water tesing should be done just to keep an eye on the water perameters whilst you are feeding but I've a feeling that at some stage its going to get very cold rather quickly so be ready to quit at 10c

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Im probably the odd one out, now don't jump up and and shout, I feed all year round due to my 2 large sturgeon I have in my pond, if the fish want to eat they will, as they would in the wild, I noticed last winter, as I said I feed all year round that when kt was very cold the koi didn't want anything to do with the food that was thrown in so any left overs went down the bottom drain and to waste but if the fish want to eat then feed the fish, I mean be sensible as quality of food amount of food and how often remember not all filters are running at 100% as in good bacteria to rid the nasty stuff

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
This discussion on feeding must be considered from the fish's point of view, particularly their metabolic rate which is directly influenced by extant temperature. When fish are active, as RobAmy indicated about their fish, energy is expended. This energy is fueled either by feeding or the internal breakdown of stored fats. If active fish are not feed, any naturally occurring food available in the pond will be quickly exhausted, leaving the fish to rely on stored fats to maintain metabolic processes. When, and if, cold (ice-over) weather sets in these fish will enter this period in an already weakened state with little or no fat reserves to sustain them. With the arrival of warmer Spring temperatures, what will emerge will be severely weakened and stressed fish that will be unable to resist even the smallest of bacterial and parasitic attacks. Fish loss should be expected.

Quit watching the thermometer and instead observe the physical behavior of your fish. They will tell you when they require feeding. When they do....Feed Them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Meyer at last, people kept telling me slick your wrong and mad!!! If I offer a small amount of food and they eat it then they eat it, I stand by the pond and offer food ifthe food has not been ttouched by the time 15 minutes have lassed then the food gets netted out and non is offered the next day, this is done every other day yes I stand by the pond wind rain snow and shine, as I stand there im also observing the water level, condition flow (as I have below water level returns) and most importantly the condition of the koi , I feel that if you can't spare 15 minutes a day then koi (or any pond keeping) is not really for you but yes if the fish want food then my fish get food, I think that to much worrying gose Into keeping fish just do what your fish are telling you,

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I stopped feeding my koi the day after Christmas , I'm Just going to let them rest as the water cools down

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Dr Case how are the fish doing I have to offer food ss my pond is sterile of any plants rocks or anything else just a big water proof rectangular koi enclosure most of the members will think how very boring but the pond was designed and built purely for keeping the koi in show condition

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Thanks , Slick . my koi are going cold turkey for while were going to get lows in the mid 20 s this week so the party is over for this year

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Dr Case how are the fish doing I have to offer food ss my pond is sterile of any plants rocks or anything else just a big water proof rectangular koi enclosure most of the members will think how very boring but the pond was designed and built purely for keeping the koi in show condition
There is a large difference Slick we are formal koi keepers who prefare nothing in the pond if you've joined the section of the BKKS as you were thinking of doing you'll find we are all rather boring when it comes to our ponds but our koi are stunning :LOL:

Dave

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
My last 2 pond builds are formal , they still get a little green coating on the walls for the koi to nibble through the winter

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
This discussion on feeding must be considered from the fish's point of view, particularly their metabolic rate which is directly influenced by extant temperature. When fish are active, as RobAmy indicated about their fish, energy is expended. This energy is fueled either by feeding or the internal breakdown of stored fats. If active fish are not feed, any naturally occurring food available in the pond will be quickly exhausted, leaving the fish to rely on stored fats to maintain metabolic processes. When, and if, cold (ice-over) weather sets in these fish will enter this period in an already weakened state with little or no fat reserves to sustain them. With the arrival of warmer Spring temperatures, what will emerge will be severely weakened and stressed fish that will be unable to resist even the smallest of bacterial and parasitic attacks. Fish loss should be expected.

Quit watching the thermometer and instead observe the physical behavior of your fish. They will tell you when they require feeding. When they do....Feed Them.

Hi there Meyer - A Happy & Healthy 2016 to you and to all.

I was reading Dr case and now what you've written. I have similar feelings as he does. I've never gone this long with no main filtration and such warm temps. I just have my skimmer running which will run throughout the winter. I've fed the koi twice a week, watching the water parameters closely. Question is, isn't that ammonia going to raise it's ugly head even this very light feeding? I am prepared with a binder on hand but that's good for about 3 days normally if needed.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
isn't that ammonia going to raise it's ugly head even this very light feeding?
First of all, if a fish is breathing it is expiring Ammonia. Ammonia excretion does rise when fish feed. Here the increase in Ammonia levels is tied directly to fish load (mass) and amount of food given.
Second of all, the level of un-ionized (free) Ammonia, the toxic form, is heavily dependent on pH and temperature. If I remember correctly your pH is in the 8.0 range, which could cause a problem if the water temperature was also high. I doubt that it is at this point in time.
Thirdly, the biofilm that covers all of the pond's submerged surfaces is still functioning, and will continue to do so for some time as temperatures drop further.

Ask a Question