Feeding Practices

1. Meyer Jordan

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Lol chasing = no feeding = egg eating

addy1, Mar 11, 2016
    1. Advertisements

2. Meyer Jordan

EricV

I'm looking for a little advice. I've got a container pond with 3 small (2-3" without the tail?) Shubunkins. I've been feeding them once a day. The five minute advice seems to be not very useful because these fish are very shy. What I put in for them is about 3 or 4 small (2mm) pellets every morning. While they are getting better, they do not come rushing in for the food and in the 5 minutes they might eat a pellet or two each. But the food is all gone 30 minutes later (it floats).

So after all of that, "Am I overfeeding?"

I've got another container pond with about 15 rosy reds in it. They go crazy for the food (less than one pellet per fish) but since they are too small to take a whole pellet, they nibble at it. Again, they don't finish in 5 minutes.

(The two ponds will be combined into one soon; they are separate for quarantine reasons.)

EricV, Mar 14, 2016
    1. Advertisements

3. Meyer Jordan

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

Meyer Jordan, Mar 14, 2016
    CeeJayH, MitchM and cas like this.
  4. Meyer Jordan

bettasngoldfish Maria

My fish are only eating a very small amount of wheat germ food at the moment. They do not have their normal appetite yet as it is still a bit on the cool side. Once it warms up and stays that way they will be fed more food.

bettasngoldfish, Mar 14, 2016
  5. Meyer Jordan

EricV

Sorry, should have specified. These fish are currently indoors, so temps are above 60.

EricV, Mar 14, 2016
    bettasngoldfish likes this.
  6. Meyer Jordan

cas

oh-oh. And all this time I thought I was feeding on the light side. Food is gone in less than a few minutes, but I think they are getting more than a couple of pellets each. Good article.

cas, Mar 14, 2016
  7. Meyer Jordan

CeeJayH

Good article, thanks for the link.
    I've always assumed that in a well-established natural pond with plenty of plants, there would be enough to eat. We feed a few pellets in the evening just to get the fish to come to us so we can see them. It's an opportunity to give them a casual look over to check they're healthy. They don't look thin or underfed, and the plants aren't disappearing because they're being consumed. Fish in the wild survive without some-one throwing handfuls of pellets into the water.

CeeJayH, Mar 15, 2016
    Meyer Jordan likes this.
  8. Meyer Jordan

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Nice to know I am not starving my fish...............they have plenty of plants, get a few pellets now and then, I leave the pond "dirty" enough there is good stuff in there for them.

addy1, Mar 15, 2016
    MitchM and Meyer Jordan like this.
  9. Meyer Jordan

EricV

That was a useful article for its generalities, but pretty worthless on the amount of pellet food to feed. Sure, lots of info on watching the fish but he also quotes pellets/fish. But pellets/fish tells you nothing without specifying the size of the pellets and the size of the fish. A 10" fish is 125x the mass of a 2" fish. A 4mm pellet is 64x the food of a 1mm pellet.

EricV, Mar 17, 2016
  10. Meyer Jordan

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

This is true. The correct rule for amount of food per day is % of fish body weight corrected for fish size and temperature. Much as the chart in my article by the same name "To Feed Or Not To Feed".

Meyer Jordan, Mar 17, 2016
  11. Meyer Jordan

EricV

Thanks. I'd overlooked that chart. That's much more helpful. Then the next piece of information is is that chart for maximum growth, survival, or some "happy medium" in between? I'd just seen a blanket 3% of body weight elsewhere. Your chart suggests more like 5-6% for my small fish.

Thanks,

Eric

EricV, Mar 17, 2016
  12. Meyer Jordan

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

This is the chart that is used in Aquaculture to determine feed rates. Considering that their goal is the biggest fish they can get in the shortest amount of time, I would venture a guess that this is for maximum growth. As far as young fish are concerned, have you ever had to feed a growing child, especially a teenager?

Meyer Jordan, Mar 17, 2016
  13. Meyer Jordan

EricV

Never had to feed one, but I've seen it done. :) Makes sense anyhow, smaller animals generally have more active metabolisms. Next stop, the kitchen scale.

EricV, Mar 18, 2016
  14. Meyer Jordan

Dave 54

Looking at this article the author touches on some good points however there is a distict lack of information on alternate foods and what they can give koi and goldfish
    One good thing one of the pictures shows is the intenal workings of koi and goldfish , it shows the difference between goldfish and just what man has done to the goldfish over the years of breeding in mutations and the effect its had on the goldfish.
    In that all the organs swimbladder etc have become scrunched up thus leaving the goldfish with problems with the swimbladder when constipated .
    He doesnt touch on the fact that being cyprinids neither the koi or goldfish have stomach's both only have a modified pouch in the intestine
    He claims that koi are not good forager's yet omits the fact that they are built for foraging and have a phenominal sense of smell .
    He also omits the fact that goldfish are built for mid water feeding their mouth parts being straight forwards unlike a koi which points downwards i;e :-

Ofre:- have upwards facing mouth [ thus are built for feeding at the surface].

Goldfish:- straight forwards facing mouth [thus are built for mid water feeding].

Koi:- dowards facing mouth with barbels [thus are built for bottom feeding].

This article will help goldfish and koi keepers with alternate foods note please note all the vitamins, folic acids, protiens, etc that we put together over years of research that are good for our charges alongside each alternate feed :-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/articles/alternate-foods-for-koi-and-goldfish.4/

I hope this helps the novice goldfish and koi keepers

Dave

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
    Dave 54, Mar 19, 2016
    EricV likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question