Too Late for Koi?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The most important thing to consider is loss of water. Anything can puncture the bag, remember, there are other drivers on the road. Bags with oxygen are fine, just back it up with a watertight container.

Reaction score
Yeah, They added oxygen for when I bought my origonal 4 koi. I'm rescheduled with this guy and he wants to deliver so, I'll be meeting him at a location close to my house tonight. He seems extremely desperate to sell me these fish. I don't know what it is but, this seems to be one of those, "If its too good to be true" moments. Not seen the exact fish and he is bringing 30 with him so I can select.

Reaction score
Got my fish last night. Pardon my poor photos, it was cold and I was anxiousness to get them in the pond. Ended up getting everything he had which ended up at 35, kind of knew that was going to happen. These are all 8"-12". He had 15" in his pond but weather has prohibited him from being able to get them. Price averaged out to $4.85 per fish. There are some nice ones and quite a bit of variety. I think about a 1/3 are butterfly, some have gin rin, and I didn’t see any doitsu. I recognize a few as a particular breeds but, poor examples. I’ll need to look them up. Can you identify any?

I checked on them this morning and did see a few swimming around checking out their surroundings. I had one that swam to the planter ledge and got stuck near the surface which was not good due to the cold. It was still alive and I worked with it for a bit and he swam off on his own. If the pond fills another 2” this will no longer be a problem.

Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• IMG_0850.jpg
    IMG_0850.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_0861.jpg
    IMG_0861.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 316

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Airic said:
Got my fish last night. Pardon my poor photos, it was cold and I was anxiousness to get them in the pond. Ended up getting everything he had which ended up at 35, kind of knew that was going to happen. These are all 8"-12". He had 15" in his pond but weather has prohibited him from being able to get them. Price averaged out to $4.85 per fish. There are some nice ones and quite a bit of variety. I think about a 1/3 are butterfly, some have gin rin, and I didn’t see any doitsu. I recognize a few as a particular breeds but, poor examples. I’ll need to look them up. Can you identify any?

I checked on them this morning and did see a few swimming around checking out their surroundings. I had one that swam to the planter ledge and got stuck near the surface which was not good due to the cold. It was still alive and I worked with it for a bit and he swam off on his own. If the pond fills another 2” this will no longer be a problem.

Let me know what you think.

Nice score for the price paid.
I see Kohaku, Sanke, Platinum Ogon, Shiro Itsuri, Ki Utsuri and Orengi Ogons.

Reaction score
Thanks for the identifications. I've been going through and researching each one of the ones you identified. Although of poor quality, I think you guys are spot on.

nc0gnet0, I have no idea how you identified the lemon hariwake as it did not show well at all on the photo and there is only one that I could tell but, I think you are right as this is one that I know reasonably well as its my favorite breed but, I want a doitsu lemon hariwake.

Now I can't wait till spring to actually be able to enjoy them.

Reaction score
Well, I've lost two koi since introducing them to the pond. First was the one I thought I had saved but, he didn't make it. The other showed up after the ice had thawed from the freeze the day after I put them in. I think it was all caused by the shock from transport and cold water. It’s been 5-6 days since and not seen any more so, I hope that is all.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
When moving any fish, you must allow time to get the water temperatures and water quality the same. It is not unusual to spend at least an hour to do this. I move fish all the time and have never lost one due to shock.

Reaction score
I typically do this. I incrementally add my water to the water they came in and let this sit for a while to adjust for temp and PH. Once set for about 30 minutes, I hand pick the fish out of the container and place them in the pond so I do not contaminate my pond water with the suppliers water. Is this correct?

Based upon the extreme cold the fish hatchery guy recommended that I put them in right away so they could go directly to the stratus layer and not be stressed by the water surface temperature. It made some sense but, with these two gone I feel I could of done better.

In hind site, I wish I would of done some water changes with my water prior to putting them into the pond. I really need to build a quarantine set up for all my future fish and not have to stress on getting them into the pond quickly.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
You brought up a good point. How is the water quality of the pond. Also good job in keeping as much of the foreign water out as possible.

Ask a Question