Too Late to Add Koi and Plants???

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
WHAT!!!! How? I have them floating in their plastic bag in the pond right now. QT them for 4 week where?:eek:

With new fish, they could carry disease and make your other fish sick. People recommend quaratine new fish in a seperate holding tank for at least 4-8 weeks since some disease you wont see them until a long time. The new fish usually stress out to the max already being caught and transfer, so they are easy to get sick.

I have to admit that I can only do it for a few weeks, and haven't done so with the last group. I risked my older fish there. I gave my new fish a salt bath though just to kill off any parasite at least. I try not to get new fish just because I dont have patient or space for quarantine. But when I do, I put it in my indoor tank (pretty tight space so I dont want to do it often.)

Reaction score
Country
United States
With new fish, they could carry disease and make your other fish sick. People recommend quaratine new fish in a seperate holding tank for at least 4-8 weeks since some disease you wont see them until a long time. The new fish usually stress out to the max already being caught and transfer, so they are easy to get sick.

I have to admit that I can only do it for a few weeks, and haven't done so with the last group. I risked my older fish there. I gave my new fish a salt bath though just to kill off any parasite at least. I try not to get new fish just because I dont have patient or space for quarantine. But when I do, I put it in my indoor tank (pretty tight space so I dont want to do it often.)
OK, I have an indoor tank that is not in use. I'll put them in there.:(

Reaction score
Country
United States
@PinKoiPam Don't forget that you'll want to quarantine any new fish BEFORE they go into the pond -- assuming you already have fish in the pond. If these will be your first fish, then you don't need to QT. Opinions on the period of QT vary, but a minimum of 4 weeks is best.

So...I've put them into a 15-column aquarium and placed the water lettuce on top. How's this? Does this look okay?

20160825_172255.jpg
20160825_172243.jpg
20160825_171558.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Um, not really, for 3 reasons I can think of. With that vertical space, there is reduced surface area. They won't have as much oxygen, as gas exchange takes place on the surface of the water. And that's pretty small space. 2nd, the temperature of the water is likely to really heat up -- maybe moving it to a totally shaded, protected spot. And 3rd, what kind of filtration and oxygenation do you have? I can't see anything in the pics. They are going to need a lot of filtration. And a 4th thing......what if water from that tank gets into the pond? Via splashing or rain. That defeats the process of quarantine. And koi are jumpers, too. They might decide to go for a swim on their own.

I don't mean to sound totally negative.....I know you're trying. Do you have access to something like a Rubbermaid stock tank? I think they would do much better with more space.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Um, not really, for 3 reasons I can think of. With that vertical space, there is reduced surface area. They won't have as much oxygen, as gas exchange takes place on the surface of the water. And that's pretty small space. 2nd, the temperature of the water is likely to really heat up -- maybe moving it to a totally shaded, protected spot. And 3rd, what kind of filtration and oxygenation do you have? I can't see anything in the pics. They are going to need a lot of filtration. And a 4th thing......what if water from that tank gets into the pond? Via splashing or rain. That defeats the process of quarantine. And koi are jumpers, too. They might decide to go for a swim on their own.

I don't mean to sound totally negative.....I know you're trying. Do you have access to something like a Rubbermaid stock tank? I think they would do much better with more space.

Ugh. Okay. And no, not negative at all...you are really REALLY schooling me and helping me. I appreciate it immensely! I think I saw a big round tub under the house. Going to check.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Is it too late in the season to add more koi and plants to my pond? If it's not too late, what are some hardy plants that I can add that will survive the salt that I add during water changings (to dechlorinate the water for the koi and goldfish) yet provide them with much needed shade?

Not too late but I'm not sure any plant can survive salting a pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yeah, the mention of salt had me cringing, too. I'm not familiar with the product you mentioned, but if it works like regular salt your plants will definitely struggle if they survive at all.

Edit to add: Never mind - upon further googling, it appears this is a common dechlorination chemical.

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Not too late but I'm not sure any plant can survive salting a pond.
Yeah, the mention of salt had me cringing, too. I'm not familiar with the product you mentioned, but if it works like regular salt your plants will definitely struggle if they survive at all.

Edit to add: Never mind - upon further googling, it appears this is a common dechlorination chemical.
It's sodium thiosulphate (sp?) which is the ingredient that neutralizes chlorine. I thought the name sounded familiar. I know it comes in crystallized form, but thought it had to be mixed with water before adding it to the pond. Anyone....?

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's sodium thiosulphate (sp?) which is the ingredient that neutralizes chlorine. I thought the name sounded familiar. I know it comes in crystallized form, but thought it had to be mixed with water before adding it to the pond. Anyone....?
I add the crystals to the skimmer box when I do a water change and not directly into the pond.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I checked the chemical I use to dechlorinate, Vanish made by Crystal Clear. It is sodium thiosulphate. I never mix mine with water first. Just put in where the hose is running into the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I agree with TM about your QT tank. I think you should take it inside/in the shade and put an oxygen line in it if you can. I'd also put a little filter (the hanging one) with the media from the pond filter (already have the bacteria) in there too to get it a good start. Check the water often though since it's an un-cycled tank.

The fish look good and i like the colors! they look pretty healthy :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
Putting new fish in a quarantine tank for 6-8 weeks, is certainly the right way to do it, and the only way for those of us with fish worth hundreds or thousands of dollars; but for sub $20.00 fish on by one get one free, it might be over-kill. I guess the $64,000.00 question is are there any current fish in the pond that need to be protected from the new fish?

OBTW two of the four are very likely to grow into very very nice fish.

Ask a Question