Its too late to add new fish in zone 6a right?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I think I know the answer to my question (don't do it). But, is it too late in the year (water temps in the upper 30's lower 40's) to add little gold fish or little koi to my pond? I'm pretty sure the answer is yes its too late.

But I saw two koi at Miers yesterday, and some great feeder goldfish (cool color patterns) that I want to add to the pond. I don't have any indoor tanks to use for the winter and I'm not going to be buying a tank anytime soon. So is it too late to add fish?

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Definitely! You would most likely lose them, so pass on them for now and go back in spring. You'll find others! John

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Definitely! You would most likely lose them, so pass on them for now and go back in spring. You'll find others! John

So if I were to get a small tank for Christmas, what are the fish to gallon requirements for figuring out how many fish the tank holds for the 3 months of winter?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That depends on your filtration, how much you feed them, the original size of the fish. I have five tiny fish (under an inch )in 2.5 gallon tank, do lots of water changes and feed at a low rate. I don't want them to grow a lot until spring.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I agree with Addy, There are many variables. I'm keeping about 60 young goldfish in a 35 G. tank with a filter consisting of an ice-cream tub holding a small pump (around 150 gph) wrapped in a medium filter mat. A bit of hornwort completes the set-up. Partial water changes are made whenever I have the time, and the fish are fed 4 to 5 times a day. So far they are healthy and active, and no ammonia in the water. John

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If I had seen these tiny guys before it had gotten so cold, I would have put them in the big pond. But it was already down pretty low in temp, so figured to give them a chance to grow before they get put out in the big pond world.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
addy nice of you to give them a chance to catch up w/ the big guys!

Ask a Question