Too many tadpoles

Reaction score
Is it possible to get too many tadpoles in your pond? I have what seems like hundreds maybe thousands of tadpoles in my pond. They seem to be eating the surface layer of algae that coats the pond liner and all the underwater surfaces in my pond. I liked that algae.

Can they hurt my fish? In some indirect way, I mean. Perhaps they are using up too much oxygen? There is just so many of them in there that it makes me worry.

Reaction score
Yep, I get 'em too. And they are hundreds, as you describe. I just leave 'em alone. Most end up not surviving and I just let nature take it's course. You can net 'em out and get rid of them or place them in another body of water if you are so inclined.

But they don't harm anything. If you have very tiny fish, as the tpoles become frogs they can certainly eat small fish. But I've never lost a fish to a frog to my knowledge.

Reaction score
Hmmm...I don't think I'm aware of tads eating plants. I had lily in my old pond with a thousand tads and they never ate 'em. I mean, they are frogs, they will eat little nits and insecty things...are you sure something else isn't eating the plants?

Reaction score
Oh, its definitely the fish. Koi rip up plants Benny. My koi just never left my alone.

You need to build one of koiguy's planter rings if you want to salvage the plants. You'll find the plans for that on the DIY forum.

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
I've certainly got a lot. They won't last all that long, and frogs/toads make great insect control measures. Toads in particular eat a really amazing amount of bugs.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
hewhoisatpeace said:
I've certainly got a lot. They won't last all that long, and frogs/toads make great insect control measures. Toads in particular eat a really amazing amount of bugs.

Wish they would eat more of these big black crickets that have moved in with the moisture.
We do have a frog, just showed up in one of the smaller ponds, sits in the rock planter.

We do have toads, now they need to get busy on crickets.........lol

Reaction score
I had them in my pond last year. They cleaned the liner and made it look like it was just installed. The koi ate the tadpoles like popcorn

Ask a Question