Too Much Salt For Plants?

Tam

Reaction score
I am looking for advice. I have a 700 gallon pond with koi, snails, lillies, oxygenators and I did have hyacinth. One of my koi got fin and mouth rot. So, I added 1 lb. of salt per 100 gallons over three days. That was two weeks ago. My fish seems to be getting better, but my hyacinth burned up and died. We had a heat wave during the treatment. It was over 100 for several days. The other plants and fish are fine. My question is , Did I add too much salt or add it too quickly? Should I take out some water and add fresh? The water seems to be cloudier the last few day also. We use Microbe Lift and it had been clear. I would like to get more hyacinth next spring but not if they will just die again. Thanks.

Reaction score
Um...well the most common mistake that a fish owner can do is add salt to a pond full of plants. Like the ground world, salt is capable of turning places like the desert, like the Sahara (it's full of salt which is why no plants grow). So, salt will eventually kill your plants. Also, did you say you had a UV of some sort? Because some UVs are powerful enough to kill the bacteria in the water that your hyacinths need to grow and survive. Hope this helps!

Ask a Question