Treats we feed our fish?

Reaction score
Someone mentioned you feed your fish oranges. How do you do that? Do you slice w or w/o the rind and float them? Do you hand feed them? I have an orange here and would love to try it w my fish, unfortunately, we are heading towards 106* today and really do not want to hand feed them....too hot to be standing, feeding them while they are in the cooler water! LOL :LOL: I would rather be in the water as well! ;)

:goldfish:

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I remove as much of the skin and rhine as possible, the pulp is what they really like. be aware if they haven't had it before it may take a bit for them to start eating it. the first few times they may not touch it. Don't leave it in the pond for more than about 30 minutes. If they haven't eaten in that time remove it and try another day. Once they start they love them. my herd can eat two or three whole orages peeled and deseeded in about 10 minutes now. When I fist tried it tokk several attempts before they started. watermelon was the same way. at first they wouldn't touch it then when they started they eat a slice in just a few minutes now. Remember to always remove the seeds and any left over rhine or peeling that hasn't been eaten after at least 30 minutes so it doesn't start rotting in the pond.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Honey nut cherrios is Shamu's favorite treat, She will come up to be petted for them.

Attachments

• barn and koi 002.JPG
    barn and koi 002.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 230

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
For the most part, are we talking about koi, goldfish, or both? Just curious as all I have are goldies, and have read where they aren't as social as koi. I would like to be able to bond with my goldies, and have noticed that they don't "scatter" as much as they used to. Wonder if goldies and koi have different "tastes?"

Reaction score
My Goldies love plain, old cheerios...I buy Aldi's brand of oat cereal. They tend to soften faster and even the little guys get a chance @ eating them. I do think I have a couple Koi Hybrids as well. They all love the cheerios. I ran otu of Aldi's house brand and was @ a regular store and bought the regular Cheerios Brand and noted they did not soften as fast. I would not give them the Honey Nut Brand because they have a light sugar coating or are sweeter and I figure they do not need that extra sugar. I have learned to keep an extra box of Aldi's House Brand in case I run out...which is all the time!! :LOL:

They also like Terta Brand Fish Stick from Walmart, they also soften faster and allow the little guys a chance to break off a section and eat it. I do feed them Wardley's pellets and sticks as well, but the Tetra Pond Fish Sticks are a hit!

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
For the most part, are we talking about koi, goldfish, or both? Just curious as all I have are goldies, and have read where they aren't as social as koi. I would like to be able to bond with my goldies, and have noticed that they don't "scatter" as much as they used to. Wonder if goldies and koi have different "tastes?"

My goldfish are usually he first ones to grab food out of my hand, just try it out and then keep trying and they will get used to you. throw some food in the water and stick you hand in there and slowly move it around just to et them used to seeing your hand and not scattering, then eventually hold onto the food and they will come grab it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My friend up the road feeds her koi cat food. She read the ingreds and said it had better stuff then her fish food. It was called "Call of the Wild" cat food. I've never tried it on my goldies. I'd have to break it up smaller for their little mouths :razz:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Any pond fish is fine. I tried the oranges and man they went nuts over that! Dont think I will try the cat food...

Reaction score
Has anyone fed their pond fish Shredded Wheat? I tried but it sinks to the bottom, so I came up with an idea. I have a paper plate holder that has holes on the bottom. I added a pool noodle around the sides. Initially I had it floating in the pond for the bullfrog to float on...and occasionally he does but has found something else he likes better. At any rate, I put a few plain, not frosted, mini-wheats on the floating plate holder and they get nice and soggy and then the fish feed from the bottom. They seem to love it. Today, I also held one underwater and as it absorbed the water, they came over to investigate and ate from my fingers. I then told DH and he said, "You know that is fiber". Well now I am worried, but they did not eat the hard stuff, they ate the soggy mini-wheats. Was this OK? They sure devoured it fast! It is the red and yellow floater. It has opened squares like plastic canvas.

Attachments

• DSCF5418.JPG
    DSCF5418.JPG
    100.1 KB · Views: 216
Reaction score
Anyone? So far, no issues w the fish after feeding them soggy Shredded Wheat-Mini's. I don't want to harm them...and they seemed to like it. Is this an ok thing to feed them?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Anyone? So far, no issues w the fish after feeding them soggy Shredded Wheat-Mini's. I don't want to harm them...and they seemed to like it. Is this an ok thing to feed them?

It is wheat I don't see an issue. Might even be good, we feed them wheat germ food in the fall.

Ask a Question