Tree Growing into Pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
i would use azek it's basicaly recycled papaer bags impregnated with LIQUID PLASTICS FROM WATER AND MILK JUGS

Not that easy as you can't just slip something down there. the liner would have to be changed most likely which means stone removal. Stones go well below water surface. Azek is great on a house for trim etc but below the ground it just might decompose, possibly unlike something more inert. But that is what would have to be done if it's needed. I'm looking into it. Thx

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
You'll need to add a root barrier between the tree roots and the pond. That means digging out between the two. Beech have shallow roots, so a 2 foot root barrier may do the trick, but a 3' one would be a safer bet. Doing a pruning type install on a tree that close to the pond will likely shock it very badly, so this means moving your pond out quite a long way if you truly want to save the tree (I'm not sure 2 feet would be enough). Might be better to just let it go and take a "wait and see" approach. The roots might never penetrate the liner. I doubt it would happen in a fantastic rupture type event, where all the water drains out overnight. Just so long as you check the water level daily so you catch any leaks quickly, I don't think it will result in that nightmare scenario happening. Especially since the roots will slowly push the bottom up where they are, making a deeper end on the side away from the tree where fish can go if a leak ever occurs.
For tree barriers, you need a solid type, not a simple flexible "bamboo barrier". It's going to have to be rigid. DeepRoot makes the best root barriers, see https://www.deeproot.com/products/root-barrier.html and https://www.amazon.com/DeepRoot-UB-24-2AMZ-Barrier-Black/dp/B01CXQGFYI/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvp. You will need to connect as many as you need to make a wide enough barrier to protect that entire side of the pond. This will force the roots to either go deeper, or grow more away from the pond, under the fence in the background. Depending on what's on the other side of that fence, that might not be preferable.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
You'll need to add a root barrier between the tree roots and the pond. That means digging out between the two. Beech have shallow roots, so a 2 foot root barrier may do the trick, but a 3' one would be a safer bet. Doing a pruning type install on a tree that close to the pond will likely shock it very badly, so this means moving your pond out quite a long way if you truly want to save the tree (I'm not sure 2 feet would be enough). Might be better to just let it go and take a "wait and see" approach. The roots might never penetrate the liner. I doubt it would happen in a fantastic rupture type event, where all the water drains out overnight. Just so long as you check the water level daily so you catch any leaks quickly, I don't think it will result in that nightmare scenario happening. Especially since the roots will slowly push the bottom up where they are, making a deeper end on the side away from the tree where fish can go if a leak ever occurs.
For tree barriers, you need a solid type, not a simple flexible "bamboo barrier". It's going to have to be rigid. DeepRoot makes the best root barriers, see https://www.deeproot.com/products/root-barrier.html and https://www.amazon.com/DeepRoot-UB-24-2AMZ-Barrier-Black/dp/B01CXQGFYI/ref=sxbs_sxwds-stvp. You will need to connect as many as you need to make a wide enough barrier to protect that entire side of the pond. This will force the roots to either go deeper, or grow more away from the pond, under the fence in the background. Depending on what's on the other side of that fence, that might not be preferable.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States

Hi Phaewryn - I was already thinking of the wait and see approach. When we redid the pond in 2012, the roots were hardly visible as close as the tree was and contained by the previous liner. I haven't much room to play with if I re-do this but I can move another 2ft giving me almost 3-1/2' at that point. If I go with the root barrier, I'd have to go down 3' and probably 5' in width. That was a thought as the waterfall and only part of the pond would get disturbed and the koi could remain in the pond assuming I didn't replace the whole line. Either way, it's a large project and I'll wait until next year as I don't have the time to even look for someone around here who has that expertise. I redid this twice in 28 years going from 500 gallons and a vegetable gravity fed filter to 2000 gallons and all high tech. taking this apart irks me but I will do something early next spring, maybe March. I wasn't familiar with DeepRoot. Sounds like a plan. I'll read up and thank you for the link. I like the barrier the best. Thx again!

Ask a Question