Tropical lilies water temp?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Hi all. I just received 2 tropical water lilies I bought online. They are beautiful and healthy with 3 or 4 flower buds on each plant (blue spider lily and green smoke). I am in zone 7 btw!

The day they arrived (2 days ago) I threw them in my floating planter I made but then something told me to check water temps. Temp was 61 degrees... I read online and I know if its cold enough they can go dormant. I panicked then removed them and put them in my basement (which I dont know the temp of but I assume above 60).

What should the water temperature be for me to put these back in my pond? I am confused because i read something about water temps being 70 and up? I know they wont die but im afraid of them going dormant with all those flower buds on them! I see the weather is more warm this week plus the temps seem much more steady with night low of 60.

Thanks!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had tropical lilies, briefly, they are beautiful. Adivarius on here knows them well he will chime in. From what I know they will not go dormant at 60, they even keep blooming into 50 some degree water, mine did

I would put them shallow the sun will get them going. I do that with my hardies shallow then deeper as the water warms.

"Tropical water Lilies grow best in a generous amount of heavy garden soil. Even the heaviest clay soils will work fine with the addition of a little sand and fertilizer. Depth should be maintained between 6" and 18" when first transplanted and then once established can be grown from 12" to 30" depending on the variety.

*Note: Tropical lilies can be raised in any climate as long as you remove them from the water when the weather starts to cool off long before the first frost. Move them into a greenhouse or use hydroponic lamps to winter them over. Place back in your pond once the water temperature gets back up to 65-70 degrees."

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
:) glad to help, I gave up on them mainly cause of keeping them alive over winter in the basement.

Ask a Question