True Pump Flow Rate vs the Rating

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes I've used the PerformancePro pumps but not the WellSpring.What is the flow rate can be achieved by different pumps? It depends on what pump you buy.

twinclouds said:
O.K., Now I understand you are talking about. You are concerning the flow rate that can be achieved by a pump. It will depend on the overall water way is constructed. I was talking about once a pond has been constructed and the pipes are in place, what is the flow rate can be achieved by different pumps. But thanks anyway.
BTW, The PerformancePro WellSpring pump looks attactive. It has a high head height. Have you ever used it?

Reaction score
DoDad said:
Yes I've used the PerformancePro pumps but not the WellSpring.What is the flow rate can be achieved by different pumps? It depends on what pump you buy.

Thank you for your quick response. I was wondering how the WellSpring WS1/3-44 would compare with Aquascape Pro4500 and Matala VersiFlow v3900.

Reaction score
Like DoDad said, the pump manufacturers usually provide a flow graph showing flow rates at 0 head, 2ft, 4ft, 8ft, 10ft, 12ft. etc. you can then compare pump output using their graphs. Then you compare flow rates and energy consumption. Some pumps are big time energy hogs.

There were two reasons i bought the flow meter. Primarily to check the flow against the manufacturers reported flow rates. You can also measure flow using the 5 gallon bucket method (or 50 gallon). You just time how long it takes to fill the bucket and do the math.

The other reason was I wanted to check the spreadsheet estimates of the dynamic head created by the length of pipe and different fittings. The website I gave you has a very cool spreadsheet and when I compared it to the flowmeter it was only off by about 10%. Not bad.

Reaction score
D&RW said:
Like DoDad said, the pump manufacturers usually provide a flow graph showing flow rates at 0 head, 2ft, 4ft, 8ft, 10ft, 12ft. etc. you can then compare pump output using their graphs. Then you compare flow rates and energy consumption. Some pumps are big time energy hogs.

There were two reasons i bought the flow meter. Primarily to check the flow against the manufacturers reported flow rates. You can also measure flow using the 5 gallon bucket method (or 50 gallon). You just time how long it takes to fill the bucket and do the math.

The other reason was I wanted to check the spreadsheet estimates of the dynamic head created by the length of pipe and different fittings. The website I gave you has a very cool spreadsheet and when I compared it to the flowmeter it was only off by about 10%. Not bad.

Thanks. These are exactly I want to do. I will report once I got the results. Hope I can get to it :lol:.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Personally I think the Aquascape Pro4500 is the worst. If your were 10 cent per kilowatt hours your monthly bill would be $45.60.
If it were me I would build my pond with a external pump.

Reaction score
DoDad said:
Personally I think the Aquascape Pro4500 is the worst. If your were 10 cent per kilowatt hours your monthly bill would be $45.60.
If it were me I would build my pond with a external pump.

It is true spec-wise. However, based on my visual observation, Pro4500 does provide significantly higher water flow then others have the same or similar rating, e.g. Aquasurge 5000, Pondmaster Pro Hy-Drive 4800, VersiFlow V3900, at the same setup. Although the other pumps do consume less electrical power. Of course, my visual observation may not be reliable. It is why I am interested to use a flow meter to measure quantitatively.

As for the external pump, I have not try one yet. One question I have is how deep I need to dig into ground to accommodate the pump?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The external pump can be set above the waterline if that's what you mean.

Reaction score
Yes. that is what I meant. Do you use a skimmer for the external pump as well? Can I use the existing skimmer and just hook a pilot from it (inlet at its bottom?) to the pump? Thanks again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
As long as your skimmer can take the flow I don't see why not but you would need a priming pot.
twinclouds said:
Yes. that is what I meant. Do you use a skimmer for the external pump as well? Can I use the existing skimmer and just hook a pilot from it (inlet at its bottom?) to the pump? Thanks again.

Reaction score
If you're looking for an efficient submersible, you might want to check out Laguna's Max-Flow series. They have similar specs to the best external pumps. The 4200 is only supposed to draw 160w. They probably aren't the best choice for a high head system, though.
http://www.azponds.com/laguna_maxflo_chart.htm

I just ordered one of these to replace my own dying Aquascape pump. I hope the manufacturer's numbers turn out to be true.

Reaction score
Please share your experience once you install it. After I tried the different "energy efficient pumps", I believe that the max head height of a pump is as important as the max flow rate for even modestly high water falls.

Reaction score
Though the maximums give the marketing people something to brag about, I don't think the max anything matters at all for most pond keepers. What's important is the flow rate you'll actually get when both dynamic and static head are taken into account, and it would be a very odd setup if either the max flow or head were reached.

I'm hoping to get about 3200 gph @ about 4.5 feet of head out of the 4200. I'll post about it once I get the pump installed and have had a chance to put it on a watt meter and at least measure the depth at the waterfall weir.

Reaction score
Well, my observations are just the opposite. It seems to me that lately, the marketing people are put out products with high maximum flow rates with low cutoff head height to obtain high energy efficiency rating of their pumps. As a result, even with modest head height the flow rate is much lower than the maximum flow rate. For example in my case, the head height to the water surface is only about 2 and half feet, the pipe length is less than 20 feet. However, when I comparing the flow rate visually, a Aquascape Pro 4500 has a much higher flow rate than Aquasurge 5000, even though the latter one has higher maximum flow rate. The flow rate of the Aquasurge 5000 is only sightly better than the Aquascape Pro 3000. I talked to Gardenponds.com people and they agree with my observation. I am getting a flow meter to check that out and hopefully will be able to report some quantitative results soon.

Reaction score
what size of tubing are you using?

the Aquascape PRO 4500 does 4500 at 5 ft of head
the Aquasurge 5000 does 4280 at 5 ft of head

the lower total GPH rated one out performs the higher one. this is a good reason not to look at the total GPH any pump does but the GPH it does at your head height. so you must know your head height before you buy a pump.

Reaction score
jason081180 said:
what size of tubing are you using?

the Aquascape PRO 4500 does 4500 at 5 ft of head
the Aquasurge 5000 does 4280 at 5 ft of head

the lower total GPH rated one out performs the higher one. this is a good reason not to look at the total GPH any pump does but the GPH it does at your head height. so you must know your head height before you buy a pump.

Thanks. I use 2" flexible PVC pipe.
I agree, but Aquasurge flow rate is still too low still even based on calculation. May I need to check if the biofall filter to see if it is clogged? I know the skimmer is fine.

Ask a Question