True Pump Flow Rate vs the Rating

Reaction score
Thanks.
They do look power efficient. Right now, I have a submerged pump skimmer. Not sure how much work is needed to set up an external pump.

Reaction score
While I am still waiting for the flow meter, I did some rough estimate to check the flow rate of the pumps. I have two Aquascape Biofalls. The fall height is about 3 feet and with 20 feet 2" pipe, I would estimate the equivalent head height is about 5 feet. I am using one Aquasurge 5000 (~280 Watts) and the other is Malata Versiflow v-3900 (~400 Watts). The Wattage are measured with Kill-A-Watt P4400.
I measured the flow rate as follows. I drained the biofall and then put a wood ruler into it to monitor the water level. After turning the pumps on, I waited the water level reach about 6" below the waterfall level and started stopwatch. Once the water level is 6" higher, I stopped the stopwatch. It took the v3900 17 seconds and the 20 seconds for the Aquasurge 5000 to fill this 6" height.
I measured the Aquascape biofall's average water surface area is about 650 inch^2 for my measurement. The total volume filled during my measurement is about 3900 inch^3 or about 17 Gallons. Thus, the flow rates calculated based on the measurements are 3600 gph for v3900 and 3060 for the Aquasurge 5000.
These results may not accurate and I will validate them once I received the flow meter. However, they do provide some rough estimate and can be done with no special equipment. Thus, I feel the rated flowrate of the v3900 is right on target but the Aquasurge 5000 is highly over rated.
My conclusion is that my previous observations about the low flow rate Aquasurge 5000 and Pondmaster Pro Hy-Drive 4800 were correct. However, the cause may not be due to low head height as I claimed before. The real cause is that these "evergy efficient" pumps do not meet their own specification on flow vs. headheight, e.g., Aquasurge 5000 should provide 4200 gph at 5' headheight according to their specification. (If my results are correct, their claims are very misleading to say the least.)
I would really appreciate if others can comment on my methodology and conclusions and maybe verify my results if you have interest and time to do so..

Reaction score
Otter said:
Your method for estimating the flow rate seems reasonable to me. How did you calculate the head?

Hi,
I used the calculator given in "http://www.lagunakoi.com/Total-Dynamic-Head-Calculator.html"
The pipe is of 2" flexible PVC type 20' long, no fittings. The flow rate is assumed to be 60 GPM.
The value of head that I used is not accurate because it depends on the flow rate. However, the inaccuracy should not affect the overall conclusion.

Reaction score
Estimating dynamic head is pretty simple when there are no fittings. I assume you added the height of your waterfall.

So, Aquascape lied. I'm shocked. Never ever would I have thought that such an upstanding company would do something like that. They've always been so up front about things like the hours of maintenance required to keep their pond kits from turning into septic tanks. Perhaps it was an innocent typo.

Reaction score
Otter said:
Estimating dynamic head is pretty simple when there are no fittings. I assume you added the height of your waterfall.

So, Aquascape lied. I'm shocked. Never ever would I have thought that such an upstanding company would do something like that. They've always been so up front about things like the hours of maintenance required to keep their pond kits from turning into septic tanks. Perhaps it was an innocent typo.

Yes. I added 3' of the biofall height.
Another one grossly overrated is the Pondmaster Hy-Drive 4800. I have not had chance to measure that yet.
I send an email to Aquascape to ask what is the reason that I didn't get the flow as specified. They said they received the mail and forward to the technical department for analysis.
I hate to say Aquascape lied but it looks to me that way. Is there anyway we can cause their attention to this?

Reaction score
Once you get your flow meter and have better data, you might post to Aquascape's forum. I doubt very much they'll publish revised specs, but they might replace your pump if the pumps they have really do what they say. I wouldn't count on that, but the dialogue might be good for amusement anyway.

Reaction score
I got the meter last week and used it to measure the flow rate over the weekend. The results are roughly the same. Actually, my "poor man's method" that I described previously was amazingly accurate. For the Versiflow v3900, the meter measurement results was slightly higher than 60 gpm. I would estimate it to be about 3700 gph, vs. my previous results of 3600 gph. For the Aquasurge 5000, it was about 3100 gph vs. my previous calculated result of 3050 gph. I also tested the flow rate of the Aquascape Pro4500, which can still run but will shut off after a few hours. I got the result of about 4600-4700 gph due to limitation in readout accuracy. So indeed the Aquasurge is significantly overrated.
One thing I don't know is that, considering the Aquasurge pumps have been on the market for a few years, has anyone been pointing out these pumps really not meet their own spec?

Reaction score
I haven't seen any comments about those pumps, but it's not an uncommon problem with pumps in general. Sometimes it happens because the manufacturer can't get enough motors and starts using a less energy-efficient model. It could be that it's been like this all along, though. I suspect that very few people who buy from Aquascape bother to check their flow rate or even know what dynamic head is.

If you ask about this on Aquascape's forum, please post a link. I'd like to see how they respond.
http://forum.aquascapeinc.com/index.php

Reaction score
I sent two emails to Aquascape. In the replies, they claim that the pump should meet the spec. but they said if I need higher water flow, I need to use Pro4500, changing to another pump will not improve what I already have.
I think they know the problem but just don't want to admit. I agree with what you said previously: they lied. Since most people don't pay close attention and there's probably no regulation, they can get away with that.
I will try the Aquascape Forum and keep you posted.

Reaction score
It is. The guy at Aquascape said if I want to change the pump, I can. But he does not believe the new one will be better. I don't believe that either. To be honest, now after these tests, I just don't believe a submersible pump with 280w power consumption can provide the same flow rate as a 500w+ pump (PRO4500). May be an external pump can but not submersible. I just hate people not being honest.
If we can convince Consumer Report or others like do some testing and report the results, that will be interesting.

Reaction score
Is he claiming you've got more head in the system than you realize, or admitting the pump doesn't meet their advertised specs? Or is he just slipping the issue and not addressing why you're not getting the flow you'd expect based on their chart?

Ask a Question