Tube Replacement Advice

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,

Based on some suggestions from some fine people at this forum and some other people, I’m currently planning to replace some old non-kink pipe with pvc flex pipe.

I began digging up the old tubing and removed the section that led to the skimmer no problem. I began digging up the section to falls and exposed where it connects to the falls.

As of right now, I need some advice on how to remove the tubing from the falls. I’ll attach the images to the post. One image is of the connection inside the falls and the other is the connection on the outside.

Additionally, I’ll probably be checking back in for some advice on how to run the new tubing once I get squared up.

Thanks for the time everyone!

Attachments

• E88F99D7-F984-42F7-9AD1-44A026F5AA81.jpeg
    E88F99D7-F984-42F7-9AD1-44A026F5AA81.jpeg
    227.6 KB · Views: 47
  • A2B99AFA-8C7D-45D9-B590-6350D64FB9CA.jpeg
    A2B99AFA-8C7D-45D9-B590-6350D64FB9CA.jpeg
    272.5 KB · Views: 66

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That looks like a threaded bulkhead fitting. I have them in my Savio filters. Pvc fitting should screw right into it. Get a slip-thread coupling and glue your new line right into it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Just unscrew that nut that the old tubing is connected to. It looks like a barbed fitting which is screwed into the bulkhead fitting. Don't unscrew the locknut that's against the plastic. It holds the bulkhead tight. You don't need to remove the bulkhead fitting.

Yep, just get a regular schedule 40 male pvc fitting of the same size. It will have the male threads on one side and a slip (glue) on the other. It will screw right into that bulkhead fitting.
I would add a few layers of plumber's teflon tape to the threads before screwing it into the bulkhead fitting.

After you screw it into the bulkhead, glue the flex PVC into it. Use normal pvc primer and glue.

You can bury it in the same trench where the old stuff was.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Just unscrew that nut that the old tubing is connected to. It looks like a barbed fitting which is screwed into the bulkhead fitting. Don't unscrew the locknut that's against the plastic. It holds the bulkhead tight. You don't need to remove the bulkhead fitting.

Yep, just get a regular schedule 40 male pvc fitting of the same size. It will have the male threads on one side and a slip (glue) on the other. It will screw right into that bulkhead fitting.
I would add a few layers of plumber's teflon tape to the threads before screwing it into the bulkhead fitting.

After you screw it into the bulkhead, glue the flex PVC into it. Use normal pvc primer and glue.

You can bury it in the same trench where the old stuff was.
Also clean the threads on the bulkhead getting Rid of any dirt that’s there. it may help to excavate a few inches below that connection.

Ask a Question