Tubifex worms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am new to ponds having a pond for only a year. I foolishly added tubifex worms to my fish a while ago. They weren't interested. Anyway after a very cold snap I was attempting to clean the pond and noticed a few dead snails and dead tubifex worms. I am worried why they might have died. My fish are healthy and ammonia levels are good.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1674499347286.gif
@ellebea
I find dead snails too and think they just go through there life time and then get old and die just like anything else even the worms. Now if they all died and your fish too then I might be more concerned. Sounds like your fish are fine tho right?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome ellebea! You mentioned dead tubifex on the bottom of the tank. Wow, I have not used live tubifex worms for many years. Dead tubifex can pollute a tank very quickly. How many (not the actual count but a teaspoon size or what?) did you introduce into the pond? If there are many, you might need to vacuum the dead ones out.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I did get a half teaspoon full thinking my babies might appreciate them. They were ignored! I saw about half a dozen lifeless ones and then noticed the odd dead snail. We have had a very cold snap and the pond froze over, apart from the ice vent. Maybe I had the wrong sort of snail but I was surprised to see dead tubifex which I thought were the equivalent of cockroaches in that nothing kills them. I did hoover what I could see though. Learning every day! Thank you.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If tubifex worms died in your pond, that might be a good sign... I always thought they were a sign of too much rotting organic material. We often call them sludge worms or sewage worms.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you lisak1, that's what I'm hoping. I just thought they were indestructible! Like I say I am new to this but learning fast

Reaction score
Country
United States
If tubifex worms died in your pond, that might be a good sign... I always thought they were a sign of too much rotting organic material. We often call them sludge worms or sewage worms.
Good that there is no sewage or any other conditions that will let them thrive and not so good that there are dead worms in the water. ellebea, they die in a clean pond or aquarium and can foul the water very quickly. Good that you hoovered most of them out. Please tell me you aren't keeping live tubifex worms in your refrigerator! :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
LOL the only fishy thing in my refrigerator is the caviar I eat on my toast for breakfast!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Good that there is no sewage or any other conditions that will let them thrive and not so good that there are dead worms in the water. ellebea, they die in a clean pond or aquarium and can foul the water very quickly. Good that you hoovered most of them out. Please tell me you aren't keeping live tubifex worms in your refrigerator! :)
Agreed!

Go ahead and toss in those earthworms you dig up in the garden, though - the fish LOVE them!

Ask a Question