Turn off system while away?

SE18

David V
Reaction score
I paid about $250 for my pump and it doesn't have a low water shutoff, but I installed a pressure device that doesn't seem to work that well in turning off pump during low water. The Aquamax Oasis 2100 is supposed to shut off when it overheats but the design of my garden system is such that the holding pond is relatively small compared with the rest of the stream channels. There's a float, but it adds water very slowly to the system. Also, the breaker sometimes trips when it rains and it's attached to the refrigerator. So there's a host of concerns I have about monitoring everything when I'm away for more than a couple days.

I think the best pump would be one that shuts off during low water and must be manually reset to go back on. Not sure if they make these.

Sorry for rambling. Dave

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It is better to have ponds on there own breaker .If you are worried about your big pump why not buy a cheapy one at a lower cost and lower gph to have running while you are away .It would use lower watts and not cause as many problems and the tripper could be doing that because it is not rated for what you are using it for .Older fridges use more electric and freezers in them use more .In the last 2 years they have really added to there low watt use .I bought the one at lowes but it has it 's quirks and is hard to reset but does work great .Tripping when it is damp is sometimes common if there is something causing it to over load the breaker .

SE18

David V
Reaction score
yeah, yeah, hear ya loud and clear; I really need to get to work but lazy

just used up the last part of the box for a 220v welder; no more ports left unless I get a sub-box, of course, I could get sparked in the process,

but of course you're right on all counts :helm2:

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
Depends on what circuit breakers you have. Some make a breaker called a piggy back breaker. Its 2 circuits in the space of one breaker. It will get you by in a pinch. You would be better off trying to see if you couldn't hook up your pump circuit to something that has a lot less stuff plugged in like a bedroom circuit, but its best to have on its own circuit.

This is a piggy back breaker
43272.png

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
thats why when this house was done I had an extra box put in the basement .it is only a 150 amp service but worth it .The house has a 200 amp service for upstairs .I figure if I was going to do it i was going to do it right .The 200 amp services the house and guest house .I'm glad i did it now as the pond is on the downstairs circuit box .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If we have ours plugged into the house circuit it blows the bathroom gfi, the breaker on that line, outside plug, can't handle the draw. So we have ours plugged into the garage circuit.

Ask a Question