Turtle in skimmer box

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
Have any of you ever had a problem with some of your pond habitants getting in your skimmer box? Our turtle loves to hang out in the skimmer box. Several times a day I'll catch her in there. I've thought about putting a screen type thing across the front of the box, but that would defeat the purpose. Last fall there was always frogs or the turtle in there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
When I started up a brand new pond last year, I found a baby red ear slider in my skimmer. He was in there for about 3 days, morning and evening, and then another day or so just once a day, then not again. He was so little that if he swam by the skimmer, it sucked him in, no way he could stay out of it. In time, he learned to stay far enough away from the skimmer. In the beginning I think he swam around the outer edge of the pond, and that's why he got caught in there. Again, in time he figured out how to swim around more toward the middle.
I've had fish, frogs, turtle in my skimmer. The way I figure it as long as there is water enough for them to survive, you save them when you take them out of the skimmer, so no harm done. Either they will figure it out, or they won't. :) Good luck!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
maybe thats where all the good bugs where and easy to catch in there .The bugs that are in there could be a big draw .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My frogs come and go from the skimmer, they like the hiding spot and most likely the food that floats by.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Every once and while I will find a frog in the skimmer, they can get in but not out. Found one in there the other day and he did not look to good. Took him out and put him in the creek as far away as possible from the skimmer.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Humm thought they could get out, maybe they can't. I check every day have not seen as many as I was a few weeks ago. Right now i have it on low draw, since nothing is falling.

Reaction score
I remember last year when my 18inch catfish got his head stuck in the skimmer opening trying to get food before it got sucked in. it was pretty funny all the koi kept swimming around like they didnt care never had any of my turtles get stuck though

Ask a Question