Two ponds one bog filter.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
AMBITOUS DIG ! I LOVE YOUR SHAPING but im having a hard time understanding why your digging without any real idea who's on first Whats on second and i don't know is on third.

I do hope you chaps know that skit over there or my words are just going to seem very confusing
Evolution. As I progressed I changed my mind on filtration and decided on a bog. I wanted two ponds in different sitting areas. The only place to site the bog was central. So, I sought advice here, concerning the engineering.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evolution. As I progressed I changed my mind on filtration and decided on a bog. Initially I wanted two ponds in different sitting areas, linked by a stream. I now want two ponds, one stream and one bog. The only place to site the bog was central. So, I sought advice here, concerning the engineering.

I note that Pond 1 gets the bath water from Pond 2. Pond 1 is the main pond. The most fish. To try and improve the water quality flowing back to Pond 1, do I make the stream a passive bog? I could add small perimeter bogs at the edges or corners of Pond 2. Or am I over thinking it?

A second pump in pond 2 is possible, though to keep costs down, I am not favouring this option.

Thank you for your replies. It may be a few minutes of your time, but it is helpful that several more knowledgeable brains have considered what I am doing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Or am I over thinking it?

Pre-thinking is far better than after-thinking. We get a lot of that around here!

And an evolving design is fine, but you're finding the down side to that is that one change can change ten things. But anything can be worked through.

Some things to think about - I'm not great with looking at holes in the ground and imagining them finished, however you do need to consider working space. Can you easily move around all your ponds? From your photos some spots look rather tight. You want easy access to pumps, plants, fish, etc.

Do you have room for shelves? What's your plan for the finished edges? Are you rocking the interior of the pond?

Three liners isn't ideal, but it's workable. But do you know where they will overlap? An overlapping liner is far easier to manage than seaming.

As for your tree stump - forget about that for now. Get your basic plan in place and then you'll know where the stump will go.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pre-thinking is far better than after-thinking. We get a lot of that around here!

And an evolving design is fine, but you're finding the down side to that is that one change can change ten things. But anything can be worked through.

Some things to think about - I'm not great with looking at holes in the ground and imagining them finished, however you do need to consider working space. Can you easily move around all your ponds? From your photos some spots look rather tight. You want easy access to pumps, plants, fish, etc.

Do you have room for shelves? What's your plan for the finished edges? Are you rocking the interior of the pond?

Three liners isn't ideal, but it's workable. But do you know where they will overlap? An overlapping liner is far easier to manage than seaming.

As for your tree stump - forget about that for now. Get your basic plan in place and then you'll know where the stump will go.
Pre thinking did take place, but it is only when the digger comes in and you see soil structure, roots, previous owners concrete, etc, that you know what you are dealing with.

Then evolution takes place, and with it unanswered questions, but that’s fine. One step at a time.

I agree on working space, and it was tight for the digger. I do not plan large patio areas by the ponds, but will move some shrubs to create sitting areas. I have already commenced working on access around the pool.

I am working on shelves. One at present 100 mm 4“ below water level and one 50cm 19“ down.

I cannot rock all of it. Too expensive. Plan to add stone chipping to the bottom of both ponds.

The liners will overlap at the stream joining Pond 1 and 2. I think there is no need to overlap at the bog waterfall into Pond 2, but please advise.

Stump. I was thinking do I place it somewhere in the pond and wondered if others had done the same. But it is quite rotten, and fragments of timber would be forever breaking off. So perhaps near not in the pond.

Thank you one and all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Pre thinking did take place, but it is only when the digger comes in and you see soil structure, roots, previous owners concrete, etc, that you know what you are dealing with.

Then evolution takes place, and with it unanswered questions, but that’s fine. One step at a time.

I agree on working space, and it was tight for the digger. I do not plan large patio areas by the ponds, but will move some shrubs to create sitting areas. I have already commenced working on access around the pool.

I am working on shelves. One at present 100 mm 4“ below water level and one 50cm 19“ down.

I cannot rock all of it. Too expensive. Plan to add stone chipping to the bottom of both ponds.

The liners will overlap at the stream joining Pond 1 and 2. I think there is no need to overlap at the bog waterfall into Pond 2, but please advise.

Stump. I was thinking do I place it somewhere in the pond and wondered if others had done the same. But it is quite rotten, and fragments of timber would be forever breaking off. So perhaps near not in the pond.

Thank you one and all.
Don't add any stone to your pond that has sharp edges; only round, river rock types.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think there is no need to overlap at the bog waterfall into Pond 2, but please advise.
Liners ALWAYS need to overlap. You don't want water wicking up underneath and escaping. The question is HOW FAR do they overlap.

And if the stump is truly rotted, I would get rid of it. Not worth the hassle to try to incorporate it only to have it fall to bits over time.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Liners ALWAYS need to overlap. You don't want water wicking up underneath and escaping. The question is HOW FAR do they overlap.

And if the stump is truly rotted, I would get rid of it. Not worth the hassle to try to incorporate it only to have it fall to bits over time.
I love my stump. I was so pleased to dig it up and haul it near the pond. I guess it will be a feature somewhere with something growing over it. But not near the liner.

I have read and am reading on wicking. Is there a post or article on here that nails it in one?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No matter how you slice it two three or even 4 ponds can feed a bog but the trick is how to get the water from the bog back to the ponds.
To get water to the bog it is pumped and the pipe goes to the bottom of the bog. The water rises through the bog and finds a spill way or two ok or three or 4 . This is where using gravity is wisest to let it return the water back to the ponds. So the key will be to have the bog higher then the ponds. You keep saying pond bog pond . But the bog can be many different designs. I have very little area in the bog where water is more then a couple inches deep . mostly the gravel is the surface. But that does not mean yours has to you can create a Bog that is just a shallow pool with a few plants or even no plants around the bog making it look more like a pond . you could look at that pond as more of a nursery maybe for some turtles or small species of fish. all the while having the gravel and the upflow
from a bog
stone chipping? Maybe there is a language difference here but here in the states those are small chips of granite split and crushed make sharp little pieces of gravel Definitely not my recommendation to be placing in a pond or placing on top of a liner . You want to use smooth river rock the size is more of a preference. but even then i prefer to place any rock on fabric.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Bogs can also be quite beautiful plants like the lotus can be a very unusual eye catching plant.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No matter how you slice it two three or even 4 ponds can feed a bog but the trick is how to get the water from the bog back to the ponds.
To get water to the bog it is pumped and the pipe goes to the bottom of the bog. The water rises through the bog and finds a spill way or two ok or three or 4 . This is where using gravity is wisest to let it return the water back to the ponds. So the key will be to have the bog higher then the ponds. You keep saying pond bog pond . But the bog can be many different designs. I have very little area in the bog where water is running over the gravel. But nothing says you camt have it a foot deep with plants or no plants but that somewhat limits the bog

Ask a Question