Type of netting for fall in NE over large pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Nice pond!! I tried netting for a few years and I definitely don't recommend it. Besides the difficulty of placing it around the pond, it was a total mess by Spring. I had to clean off snow throughout the winter to prevent sagging and several times it would just break all together. The expense and extra work isn't worth it. We also tried a 7 foot cover enclosure and that didn't last too long due to heavy winds and snow. We wasted so much money it was unbelievable. When I started thinking of more simpler options is when I found these plastic hexagon pieces on Amazon. I've used them now for 2 winters and wouldn't consider anything else. They come with little hooks for attaching to one another and I use fishing line to anchor them down at the corners of my pond. They can be arranged in different sizes and most importantly they don't sink. As to my bog filter, there's no need for a cover because my sweet flag flourishes throughout the cooler months providing the perfect amount of coverage.
Those things look interesting, but won't the leaves just sit and collect on them?
How do you lift the leaves off of them?
Won't it be difficult to prevent the leaves from falling in if you try lifting those things?

I'm always open for other ideas and these might work for you if you don't get many leaves. Please convince me before I set up the net.

I support the net with a PVC pipe frame creating a tent shape so the leaves will blow or fall off. No leaves can get under the net as long as it's secured to the frame, all around the ground and doesn't somehow get ripped.

I leave the net on from Fall to Spring.
If we get a lot of snow, the whole thing has collapsed a few times, but it has always popped back up.
I was thinking of switching to 2X3's instead of PVC pipe for a more ridgid frame.

No system is perfect, but it's important to not allow the leaves to decompose in your water.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Those things look interesting, but won't the leaves just sit and collect on them?
How do you lift the leaves off of them?
Won't it be difficult to prevent the leaves from falling in if you try lifting those things?

I'm always open for other ideas and these might work for you if you don't get many leaves. Please convince me before I set up the net.

I support the net with a PVC pipe frame creating a tent shape so the leaves will blow or fall off. No leaves can get under the net as long as it's secured to the frame, all around the ground and doesn't somehow get ripped.

I leave the net on from Fall to Spring.
If we get a lot of snow, the whole thing has collapsed a few times, but it has always popped back up.
I was thinking of switching to 2X3's instead of PVC pipe for a more ridgid frame.

No system is perfect, but it's important to not allow the leaves to decompose in your water.
Although I love the Fall season, I absolutely dread those never-ending leaves. I must agree no system is perfect and the only way of discovering the best method is only by trial and error. I live surrounded by trees which leaves are inevitable and I found using a leaf blower very helpful. Due to the leaves falling on top of the plastic pieces rather than directly into the pond, the leaf blower pushes a good amount onto the edge however there's always some especially the smaller leaves that falls through the openings. I also use long handle grabber tools for not only removing leaves in the Fall but for cutting back my waterlillies in the summer as well. Considering all the great suggestions provided by other members, hopefully you can find what works best for you.

Attachments

• 20220926_140249.jpg
    20220926_140249.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220926_140223.jpg
    20220926_140223.jpg
    378.1 KB · Views: 12
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Although I love the Fall season, I absolutely dread those never-ending leaves. I must agree no system is perfect and the only way of discovering the best method is only by trial and error. I live surrounded by trees which leaves are inevitable and I found using a leaf blower very helpful. Due to the leaves falling on top of the plastic pieces rather than directly into the pond, the leaf blower pushes a good amount onto the edge however there's always some especially the smaller leaves that falls through the openings. I also use long handle grabber tools for not only removing leaves in the Fall but for cutting back my waterlillies in the summer as well. Considering all the great suggestions provided by other members, hopefully you can find what works best for you.
Yep, we have an awful lot of trees too.
I call it the battle of the leaves every year because it is literally a battle fighting them.

My tools are leaf blower and lawn tractor. If I keep on it and not too much has accumulated, I can just run them over with the tractor and mulch them into the lawn. But when they pile up I use the leaf blower and the sweeper attachment for the tractor.

It's just beginning here in northeastern Pennsylvania. I dread it.

Moni_Pond

Fish Mom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Did you end up netting your pond? I am just reading through some posts and was wondering what you ended up doing. We have a pond of similar size to yours, slightly larger, and we net it because we have a lot of trees, but also critters that would prey upon the fish while in their torpor state. I put a large PVC pipe in the center of the pond and brought it down over my bog/waterfall down over the rest of the pond so it was at an angle.

I’m excited to take the net off, but I’m glad it is still on right now because maple trees are making a mess and dropping lots of Buds that I don’t want in my water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I put up a telephone pole ran a wire and hung a golf driving net 16 feet high to catch the leaves but that worked only modestly . The best thing i did for leaves was an oversized intake bay.

Ask a Question