Ugh, engineering fail

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Boohoo, my infinity bog wall fell yesterday. I started the pump to the bog the other night and yesterday morning my SO text me that there is something wrong with my pond. She send a picture and indeed the bog wall is starting to collapse into pond. Thursdays are busy for me at work so I was not able to get home till 6pm to assess the problem. I'm guessing the water flow and weight of the gravel differential was too great and bowled it outwards. I quickly removed about 1/4 of the gravel, theres about 5 yards in there, and pumped out the water to take some pressure off the wall and prevent the complete collapse. Looks like I have new top of the list task this weekend. I didn't rebar or add cement inside the concrete blocks since I expected pressure to be relatively equal between the pond and bog, guess its good I didn't become an aerospace engineer as I first went to school for....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
IMG_20180503_181039.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Donyou have before pics. Curious about what this setup looks lime?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If both sides had water only you would be right there would be equal pressure so long as both water levels were the same. But if your stone is against the dividing wall and only water on the other side at 5 yards of stone on the high side a ton and a half per yard 14,500. now not all of that is pushing on your wall but even at a 1/3 of that your still trying to hold back in the neighbor hood of 5,000 pounds. I'm no engineer but it adds up

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have a wall between our bog which is over the pond water surface by around a foot. We made the wall with landscape timbers, re-bar driven into the ground. Each end of the wall planted into concrete. Our wall is 27 feet long. We then covered it with the liner.
There is a lot of pea gravel on the bog side, 38000 lbs of it.

DSC01176(1).JPG
DSC00057.JPG
DSC00219.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hmmm i thought that the idea with the bog along side the pond was to have a permeable wall between. allowing water to leach out between the two. Just goes to show there are many ways to create a bog system. As the saying goes build it and they will come. in this case build it a mother nature will adapt and make it work.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hmmm i thought that the idea with the bog along side the pond was to have a permeable wall between.
That is one way to make a bog. Mine is upflow, flow over the wall / waterfall into the pond bog set up. I didn't want to fuss with a permeable wall.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If I recall right it was 35 ft by 40 ft more or less. I have the receipt somewhere. The stream was 9 x 89 ft

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Slave to my pond for another weekend. And to think I was looking forward to feeding them this weekend
IMG_20180505_162603.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
We have a wall between our bog which is over the pond water surface by around a foot. We made the wall with landscape timbers, re-bar driven into the ground. Each end of the wall planted into concrete. Our wall is 27 feet long. We then covered it with the liner.
There is a lot of pea gravel on the bog side, 38000 lbs of it.

View attachment 110245 View attachment 110243 View attachment 110244
How deep is your bog? Mine is currently 3 ft and thinking to change it to under 2ft.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How deep is your bog? Mine is currently 3 ft and thinking to change it to under 2ft.
I have it around 2.5 feet deep, might be more might be less. That was the depth without the gravel or water. I did need to raise the back down slope side of the bog to match the water level. It appeared level until it was filled, slopes are rough to build on. So it ended up slighter deeper.

More gravel than needed, most likely, but it works great. Keeps my pond perfect. I an turn it on and ignore it all summer and the water stays clear.

Ask a Question