Uh oh - shell floating

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all,

Background. Years ago I dug about a 3 foot round hole. I put a large plastic container (bucket) I got when my neighbor had trees planted. It is about 33 inches deep and about 3 foot wide. I dropped it in the hole. I had shelf running around that outside. I stuffed a vinyl liner into the bucket and over the shelf. These buckets have indention in the bottom for a fork lift and with mine the fork lift had put a hole in the bucket. No issues because of the liner. The function of the bucket was to keep the walls from collapsing. At the outside of the shelf I used large chop block that comes a bit higher than ground level. The liner goes under the chop block and folds back over the top. Flagstone goes on top of the chop block so the liner doesn't show. Worked a long time. But liners get old and pond developed a leak.

I hired a contractor to replace the liner but this time I wanted liner in first with the bucket going in next. I thought since it had a hole in it, it would just sink like a boat with a hole in it. Contractor got partly done. Liner in the ground bucket in the liner. Chop block around the shelf and under the liner. Here comes the rain. I filled the bucket with water thinking it would stay in place and run out in fill around where the liner was and the weight of the water would hold it down. Came out this morning and I have a floating bucket full of water.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mrick

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Your preform pond will float if surrounded by water. Liner needs to go in the preform or how about just putting the liner in the hole and not using the plastic preform?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Your preform pond will float if surrounded by water. Liner needs to go in the preform or how about just putting the liner in the hole and not using the plastic preform?
Would love to skip the bucket, but my wall is straight up and down. I am afraid that with just the liner, the wall would collapse and the liner would not hold it in place.

Last edited:

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Unless you have sandy soil, the weight of the water should keep the walls from collapsing. Can you maybe slope the sides out a little?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Unless this bucket is made of steel, if those walls were going to collapse, they would collapse, bucket or no. A plastic bucket isn't going to hold back the force of collapsing soil. I'd skip the bucket and just use the liner, especially since the walls have remained sturdy for years now.

I'd love to see a picture of this. I'm imagining one kind of bucket but maybe you have a whole other thing going on there!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Unless this bucket is made of steel, if those walls were going to collapse, they would collapse, bucket or no. A plastic bucket isn't going to hold back the force of collapsing soil. I'd skip the bucket and just use the liner, especially since the walls have remained sturdy for years now.

I'd love to see a picture of this. I'm imagining one kind of bucket but maybe you have a whole other thing going on there!
Here are a few pictures from the original construction. I filled in around the bucket with sand before stuffing in the liner.

pond3_zpsdjcrxsev.jpg
pond4_zpsshwa7mme.jpg
pond1_zpsvn0m0uvi.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Unless you have sandy soil, the weight of the water should keep the walls from collapsing. Can you maybe slope the sides out a little?
I don't know that I have much room. It fits between the garage and a screened in back deck. I have clay soils here. I am close to Dallas Texas.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
We too have clay soil. We have a liner pond, 3 1/2 feet at deepest point, and straight earthen sides.

Ask a Question