Umbrella Plant or Small Papyrus questions

lindsayanng

Umm yea... confused
Reaction score
I picked up a bunch of plants yesterday along with my new fish. I would like to have an bog area in my shallow part of my pond..

So i got these papyrus plants which I think are awesome looking. I am in zone 6 so i am sure i will have to bring them in in the winter..

I planted them with the root ball and some dirt right on the edge of the pond. One plant is just about 1" under water and the other is about 3-4" under water planted the same way... So will this work?? because i read on a few sites that it was ok to do it this way, and on others i read its not..

So i was just wondering if anyone has this stuff planted and how its doing./

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
If your fish dont bother them they should do fine...I keep big rocks on top of my roots and the koi cant mess with them .

lindsayanng

Umm yea... confused
Reaction score
I dont think that the koi would get to these.. theres a bit of shallow water until they are planted.. the koi would have to half beach themselves..

I am just curious if they small root ball with soil will work with no container aside from one made from gravel

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
As long as you can keep them from blowing over they should do fine there

lindsayanng

Umm yea... confused
Reaction score
theres no way they are bliowing over.. they are stuck into the gravel really good.. i did have issues with my iris' blowing over, but i got a REAL underwater pot and that fixed it.. these guys are not in a pot at all.. just burried in the gravel

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have been growing Dwarf and Regular Papyrus for many years. I have them in a rectangular pot filled with gravel in the pond and planted all around it. They actually do better outside in the dirt.

Papyrus is my biggest seller for Southern California ponds next to Bamboo. Everyone who comes here for water plants, leaves with some Papyrus.

No, I don't ship...

lindsayanng

Umm yea... confused
Reaction score
Haha. Not even for me???

So you are saying that they will do OK in jut gravel but like it best in dirt probably out of water?
Do you take yours indoorin the winter? I'm sure I will have to. I'm inzone 6

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
It gets down to freezing a few nights each year. I have even seen a little ice by my waterfall. All my plants survive the winter except water hyacinth outdoors. Water lettuce doesn't like the cold but does make it through. In fact it is just starting to grow.
I had regular papyrus in my small pond until it got almost as big as the pond. I had to use my truck to drag it out. That is when I started to plant it in the dirt around the new pond. Now I have a forrest of it. My garderner removes some each week for my weekend offerings.

lindsayanng

Umm yea... confused
Reaction score
You get near freezing,but i get VERY freezing, so i should probably take them inside in the winter.. I guess. right?

I hope my dwarfs dont take over.. my pond is big, but the area is pretty small

Ask a Question