Under Water Pond Lights

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
Pond-Lighting-Kit-Garden-Light-Underwater-Spot-light-Halogen-Lamp-3-Lights-DB03-.jpg

Curious what my options are, my Pond is 6 feet deep and I do not have a Ledge that is shallower I can set plants or LED lights on.
My small 100 gallon Pond I was able to install 3 under water lights and change out the cover to change the colors; I'd like to do similar in my 6 foot Pond but concerned if I will be able to see the LED's 6 feet deep or if I should try to hang them from a string closer to the Top.

Thank you,

Shane

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
Those look like halogen bulbs. I have some of those in my pond and the bulbs burn out quickly. I hope yours came with a different plug on the end of the cord. If not, looks like you may have problems getting it to plug into anything here.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Halogens get very hot and thats why they burn out fast .I had one halogen triple light fixture in a display cabinet above my microwave and left it on for 6 hours and smelled something and looked and it had melted stuff on the shelf and burned the oak .Mind you that fixture came out and LED'S went in .Had those as pond lights also and one melted the plastic lense when water got low in the pond and did not realize it was half out of the water,they came out too .

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
I haven't purchased any yet, what do you suggest for 6 feet depth? my concern is I dont have a shelf, so I won't be able to rest them 1 foot below water line...

any suggestions?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
my led lights are around 5 feet down, they do fine, I think it depends on what the light is rated for.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Shane, couldn't you rig up a hanger? Could be from plastic you bend using heat to just an ordinary wire, like one strand of a 14-3 romex line. If you have any vegetation at pond's edge, should cover any wire/hanger and then you'd have more options. I used the leds, off ebay, for about $10 a unit. Most I have stuck in pots on the shelf, but a couple are indeed just hanging 12" down.

Just an idea

Michael

I haven't purchased any yet, what do you suggest for 6 feet depth? my concern is I dont have a shelf, so I won't be able to rest them 1 foot below water line...

any suggestions?

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
Shane, couldn't you rig up a hanger? Could be from plastic you bend using heat to just an ordinary wire, like one strand of a 14-3 romex line. If you have any vegetation at pond's edge, should cover any wire/hanger and then you'd have more options. I used the leds, off ebay, for about $10 a unit. Most I have stuck in pots on the shelf, but a couple are indeed just hanging 12" down.

Just an idea

Michael

I was going to try something similar to that, YES. thanks for the idea with the Hanger. ;-) I may try to tuck something like that under my CAP block that I have my liner tucked under.

Thanks again,

Shane

Reaction score
Hello everybody

One of the most spectacular effects in water gardening is the addition of underwater lights to a pond. Underwater or submersible pond lights, can be used with clear lens or various colored lenses. Pond lights are usually 20 watts (but you may use 10 watt lights for very small ponds) and require a 12 volt transformer. Some underwater lights are sold with a transformer and some are sold separately.

Thanks and regards
Josephluca

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
My $.02. I had some submersible halogen lights bought off amazon near the end of June this year... they all burned out except for one and it seems the seal did not keep the water out (or the seal that connects the pin to the rainproof box failed)... I did not have a good experience with lights and I am a big fan of LED. I am going with LED next year and I am sorry I cannot recommend one for you now. I just know that I would rather stay away from halogen because 1- they get warm/hot (my lenses even warped!) 2- they do not last nearly as long as LED 3- they use more power than LED lights. I hope you find what you are looking for. I would assume there are probably more LED out there that will give off a lot more light than a halogen bulb. I know LED cost more but in my opinion are well worth it. :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thing is they may cost more but you get it back when you pay your electric bill .Just look at one of those displays in the store and you will see .Read the box on the cost per year also .I just got a new fridge and range and I am amazed the difference in the electric they use compared to my 8 year old appliances .The are making things so much more energy efficient these days that it really amazes me .My new fridge has the newer insulation plus LED lights and the energy cost to run it a year is only 62 dollars .

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
There are varying degrees of quality in underwater lighting, the cheapest being plastic and the most expensive being cast brass.

I've used Kichler and Dabmar products (high end) in the past, as well as Aquascape (middle of the road). I generally try to use LED rather than MR16 due to bulb life. You'll get about 2000hrs out of an MR16 halogen vs. about 20,000hrs out of an LED system. LED creates no heat, whereas halogen radiates heat.

Ponds don't require multiple lights for best effect. One of the best effects (IMO) is a single cast brass up-light with a wide beam that shines straight up, silhouetting the lily pads. The pond appears to "glow" from below. Additionally, if you look at the light at night, you'll see mosquito larvae are attracted to the light in hordes, and the fish dart in and out eating them up.

A simple wide beam, low voltage LED is often enough to light up a waterfall (preferably from under the cascade),

You'll pay more for a single, large cast brass or marine-grade aluminum fixture ($300-$500)than you will for a set of 4-6 plastic egglites ($100-$200), but the effect (and longevity) are worth the bucks. Like anything else, if you're going to do it, buy the best. If you can't afford the best, then wait until you can. There's nothing worse than buying cheap, having it fail, buying cheap again, having it fail and then thinking to yourself...........hmmm.....let's add up two cheapies and compare it to the one I should have bought.

As to transformers, buy the best one you can afford that is rated for more watts than you think you require. In this way, should you decide to add garden/walkway/landscape lighting, you'll be able to run multiple lines from a singly-purchased transformer. The added advantage being that all lights will come on with a single timer, rather than being individually rigged/timed. Digital photocell-controlled timers are superior to the older clock-face timers as they can be set for time-on (ie. 1-3-6, dusk to dawn. In the event of a power failure, clock-faces need to be reset to correct time, whereas photocell-controlled aren't affected.

Check out 1stoplighting.com. They ship free, there are on-line discount coupons available, they provide excellent customer service and offer contractor discounts. They are cheaper than any retail source.

Do what I do......each year I buy myself a gift that I put under the tree that says "To Me, From Me, Love, Me". I'm always pleasantly surprised and always get exactly what I want.

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Do what I do......each year I buy myself a gift that I put under the tree that says "To Me, From Me, Love, Me". I'm always pleasantly surprised and always get exactly what I want.

lol love it!

Ask a Question