Underwater Pond lighting question

Reaction score
I have an appx 1200 gallon pond, and wanted to possibly put some underwater lights. But I'm not sure what size and how many I would need for my pond. It's a 9 ft circle basically, I was thinking maybe a light on each side of the waterfall? Would that be enough?

Don't mind the mess, it's a new pond, still fixing the rocks around it and haven't planted any plants yet!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 256

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Honestly, I don't care for underwater lights. Fish naturally swim with there dorsal pointed toward the brightest light, at night they try to swim with their dorsals pointed at the lights and it makes them swim funny. I prefer overhead lighting. I started using LED spot lights last fall and I've been very happy with them, no need to clean very often, they don't leak, and it gives a nice look to the fish, PLUS you can see snakes a lot better!

Reaction score
That was my other option, was spotlight type lights. I didn't know that about fish! I've had my pond for yearssss, but just moved it to the backyard and made it bigger so I could have koi and goldfish, so I wouldn't wanna mess up their natural habits with the lights lol. Thanks. Can it be any outdoor spotlights for gardens, or does it need to be something specific?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I like lights that shine down on the fish also ,pond lights leak ,I don't like that they shine up in your eyes plus I think they make the water look dirty

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use LED they do not attract bugs and they don't get hot .

Ask a Question