Underlayment / Overlayment?

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Ah, yes. A few caveats:

1. It's Length x Width DIVIDED by 40, not times 40. You'd have a mountain of boulders if you messed that up!

2. That formula probably works ok for smaller ponds with a basic ovular shape and a depth of 24" and 2 shelves. Formulas like that break down once you deviate from the basics. But it's a good rule of thumb to check your own estimations by.
Oops! Yes, meant / 40. Using this calc I get about 6 tons of boulders. Do you think that is even close to what I willl need? Rather not have to pay multiple delivery fees if I dont have to. I am thinking about getting the rock delivered soon so I can get an idea what I will have to work with. My pond will be 3 ft at its deepest, with probably 2 shelves. First down ~8 (depending on size of rock) and second at ~24, then bottom at 36. Oh, and need to figure in the bog and waterfall so could probably add another ton, making it 7 tons.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don’t remember exactly what size your pond is, but if it’s within 25% of what that calc uses, it’ll probably work okay.

A ton of boulders, especially bigger ones, does not go that far! I just order 10-ton dump truck loads at a time now.

Some tips I got from landscapers was that “wall rock” sized boulders (8-18”) is good for about 20 square face feet of rock wall. 1-2’ers will do about 15 face feet and 3-4’ers will do about 10.

Try out those figures and see how close they come to the calc you started with.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'd not get any fancy/colorful stone/ expensive stone because once it's covered with algae
SPEND YOUR MONEY ON THE EDGING ROCK AND DONT GO CRAZY ON THE ROCK UNDERWATER.L THOUGH SHAPE AN CHARACTER GO A LONG WAY ABOVE OR BELOW THE WATER LINE

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Didnt destroy CAP button yet?? Ahahah
run yer lil tank over that button, Dime! I get this image of GB hunkered over his lil phone, eyeballin' the touch keys, jus' typin' away and then presses 'send' then voila! Lots of cursing when he sees alla da caps just shoutin' back at 'im! If only it weren't so much work to copy/uncap, hey? heh heh

:D :cool: ;)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Shit does these mean i owe you one .. dang i hate when someone has the upper foot. But for this gesture I'll bow gratuitously . Ok Ok as graceful as a 300 pound biker can

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Don't like the visual huh lol, it was giving you the best side

Ask a Question