Unusual marginal/bog plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Has anyone actually planted Astilbe in a shallow bog or as a marginal? I've read in some list that people plant Astilbe as water plants, their flowers are very pretty and they can grow in shade, I am gonna try in spring but I am wondering if anyone's tried it.

I've read people do Hostas as well, but my pond is practically a slug/snail haven in the summer which I guess is ok but Hostas are like breakfast to them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
sounds like you got issues with snail trails

astilbe not I

hostas yes

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Same as @GBBUDD have hostas in my bog, but not astilbe. Like anything it is worth a try, but idk how large/small their root system is, if it can get extensive I would skip it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Astilbe are nice plants, especially for shade. I was planning on planting some in the pond area this Spring, not sure exactly where. They do not spread, they definitely do not like getting dry, they have shallow roots so when it dries up they do not do well so I am thinking the pond area would be nice for them. Like @Jhn says it is worth a try. They have a variety of colors for the flowers, from white to red, and the leaves can vary also, you can get green to deep purple. Bluestone perennials has a new variety this year with the purple leaves.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Astilbe are nice plants, especially for shade. I was planning on planting some in the pond area this Spring, not sure exactly where. They do not spread, they definitely do not like getting dry, they have shallow roots so when it dries up they do not do well so I am thinking the pond area would be nice for them. Like @Jhn says it is worth a try. They have a variety of colors for the flowers, from white to red, and the leaves can vary also, you can get green to deep purple. Bluestone perennials has a new variety this year with the purple leaves.
Definitely gonna try it as a marginal this year, I probably leave some soil as well cause I think it has a better chance of thriving.

Ask a Question