Unusual Pond Plants

Reaction score
Country
United States
Perhaps this has been posted before (fairly new here). I'm always looking for not-the-typical plant that will work in the pond. I know most ferns and hostas. I've had zero luck with the mosaic plant and water lettuce. :~( Just wondering if others have tried something beyond the regulars. Killing time til weather gets warmer. 34 tonight.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Define, 'unusual'

euryale_ferox.JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Some of the herbs work and last year I had celery and cut the bottom off and put it in a pot with no dirt or soil and I was amazed at how well it grew .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I guess it would depend on where you’re located, and if you want leave em and forget em or pull them when temps drop kind of plants. I’ll be trying pothos in my pond this spring once temps climb higher and stay there. I’ll pull what ever makes it through the summer in for winter, and keep in a tank. I’d say I’ve got enough tanks! I’ve got two big ones I got second hand, I thought they were 40 gals, but I now calculate them to be more like 30s. A twenty gallons, and two tens. Plus one outside that leaks, but I can fix that. So I’ll be trying different house plants to see what does well in an aquarium, and then to the pond.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Depends on what you define as being irregular.
Rough Horsetail is a commonly sold pond plant, but it's also unique - almost looking like mini bamboo.
IMG_0641 copy.jpg

Golden Queen Globeflower grows in my bog. It does OK but doesn't thrive so I don't think it'd work in a pond but definitely possible for a bog as long as it's planted high enough above the water level.
IMG_9324 copy.jpg

I also grow Sensitive Fern. This is also in my bog and grows well. Like Globeflower, I'm not sure if it'd work in a pond, but definitely an option for a bog.
IMG_1811 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Some of the herbs work and last year I had celery and cut the bottom off and put it in a pot with no dirt or soil and I was amazed at how well it grew .
Woo-Hoo! That's what I was thinking about.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oops. I just realized that my chickens might eat some of these. :~( But going to give them a try. Thanks y'all.

Ask a Question