Unusual fish markings

Reaction score
Hi,

I have had a garden pond for 3 years now, but in the last couple of months I have noticed transparent white markings on one of my fish (the orange & black Koi). It is really hard to describe what it is, so hopefully you may be able to zoom into the attached photo to see what I mean. The markings are on the tail & upper fins, side and has affected an eye. I have had the pond water tested which was ok and added salt and medication to the pond to no avail as it hasn't made any difference. None of my other fish appear to have it.

I have been looking on the web for ages hoping someone else had posted a picture of something like this so I hope someone can put my mind at rest as it is really worrying when you are trying to find out if it is likely to endanger the lives of my fish.

Many thanks

Dianne

Attachments

• Fish Pond 003.jpg
    Fish Pond 003.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 296
Reaction score
Hi, I did take quite a few but that was the only one that was any good I will try again tonight, they move so quick!

Thank you

Reaction score
Hi,

I have attached 2 more photos which still don't really show the problem, it is like a milky film which is showing on the tips of his fins in the 1st photo also the eye that is affected. The 2nd is where it is on his side but still not very clear. The only other option is to put him in the net & try to get a better photo but I think the cameras can't pick it up properly with it being like a transparent covering.

Many thanks for any help, just to mention I have put in the pond twice some Medifin but it hasn't made any difference and he still loves his food & darting about.

Dianne

Attachments

• Fish Pond 015.jpg
    Fish Pond 015.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 319
  • Fish Pond 016.jpg
    Fish Pond 016.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 294

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Dianne; Google 'Koi pox' or 'carp pox' and compare the oictures with what you see on your fish.
John

Reaction score
Hi John,

Thankyou, I don't know how I missed these pictures but yes it looks as though that is what he has got, the only issue I have now is can it spread any more and will it damage his eye or will it clear up eventually, we had such a bad winter that maybe that is why it has come out in the last 2 months. Many thanks again
Dianne

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Diane if it is carp pox I wouldnt worry any as its in the koi to cure itself .
What is the temperature of your water by the way as its a little late on in the season for it to be showing ( as the water heats up tthey normally disapear as its a seasonal thing .
As to it spreading I wouldnt worry so much as some koi get it others dont its quite harmless and doesnt disfigure your koi.
It is normally active during the low winter temperatures and starts tio disapear from spring onwards and should be gone by the summer hense me asking the pond temperature.
The best way to take photos of sick fish is to bag them to take photos so you get up close shots .

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Hi Dave,

Thanks for that it is a bit weird with the pond as we have a south facing garden so when the sun shines which it hasn't done much this year the pond gets a good few hours of sun, I will moniter and see what happens then post to the forum with results

Many thanks
Dianne

Reaction score
Hi, I am back with an update, my koi still has the markings but they haven't spread although he has got bigger hence the markings look bigger, still none of the other fish have shown any signs of this, I was wondering if maybe a frog might have damaged him or whether it could be caused by stress. I am going to be moving the koi and ghost fish to my sons pond as it is a lot bigger and I am a bit worried they won't survive another winter in mine.

Dianne

Ask a Question