UP-FLOW vs. DOWN-FLOW for bio-filter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
See!? Noobs like me need info like this!....LOL My current filter is just a home made temporary doohickie made out of a clean kitty litter bucket. Many many holes drilled into the bottom and lower part of the sides with some poly wool inside. the outlet end of the pump hose just gets stuck into a hole in the lid of the bucket, and I let the bucket sit in my top pond for a day or two at a time once every second week. It seems to do the trick, but I really need to get to work on a permanent "proper" filtration system.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol define "proper" depends on whom is typing as to what is "proper" for a pond, if it works it is "proper"

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
true as long s it cleans the pond and does the job it does not matter what it looks like or what kind of media you use ,whatever works and does not cost me a small fortune or needs lots of work on it works for me .But did notice since I took the tops off my filters and put grasses and plants in pots in the filter they do seem to be cleaning better .I guess it is a redneck bog LOL :razz:

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
At the risk of offending anyone, the best filter I've ever tried for a small pond is the Tetra one that looks like a small green barrel. It comes in three sizes, I believe mine is the largest. Water is pumped in at the top via a venturi to a perforated pipe, so the flow is spread out. It falls onto a disc of foam filter mat, which further disperses the flow. From there the water trickles over a form of bio-balls, or rather bio-cylinders, and exits near the bottom, back into the pond. I got this filter as a gift after helping someone install a pond, and when I set it up I was wondering how it could possibly work when there was no water in it. Later I heard it described as a wet/dry filter, and now I realize that it was just an early version of the trickle tower. If the top filter disc is cleaned regularly, the bio-media stays fairly clean, and only needs attention when you shut it down in the fall. VERY easy to duplicate with a plastic drum!!
John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5B
Mine was silly simple to make, and as I said, this is just temporary until I either buy or build a good and proper bio-filter. At least it keeps my water nice and clear. As I said... I just stick this bucket contraption in the top pond once every couple of weeks ( feeder pond for the water fall ) and stick the pump outlet hose into it. I let it sit there for a day or two then remove it. The diagram is poor, but basically it's a bucket with a snap on lid. The bucket has holes drilled into all four lower sides and all over the bottom. It's lined with poly wool batting which is held in place with a stiff wire loop. The lid has a large hole in which to put the pump outlet hose. When the filter material is too full or clogged, the over flow comes out under the edge of the snap-on lid. I've only had that happen once, but as far as DIY temporary filters go, it seems to do the job quite well

7346891934_0cb5e3784e.jpg

Ask a Question