Trying to track down a water flow problem

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
So I've had this problem the entire life of the pond (about 18 months) I've already replaced the pump which seemed to be fine but now this one is doing the same thing. Basically, I'm not getting proper flow through the waterfall on the filter pump.

I have two pumps, one in the skimmer and one above ground running the filter.

The filter pump is a Sequence 5800 or 5200 gph

http://www.columbiawatergardens.com..._GPH_1_8_HP_p/3600seq12pumps.htm?1=1&CartID=0

The skimmer pump is Jebao JGP20000 (5000gph)

http://www.jebaopumps.com/products.php?product=Jebao-JGP20000-(5000gph)

Just had a pond service leave and they couldn't figure it out either which is frustrating.

What happens is the flow is far too small for the size of the pump and over 3-5 hours the waterflow will eventually go to 0 and I have to turn the pump off out of fear of burning it up.

Here is a pic with the above ground pump on.

20141009_184238_zpsdaee665d.jpg

Here is a pic with both on. Massive difference in flow between the two pumps.

20141009_184313_zps5c82d7a4.jpg

Here is a quick video of the output through the filter.

Does that look normal output for this pump?

They checked the filter, the connections and swore up and down its not a clog but can't explain why the water flow is so small or why the water in the prime box only goes up about 3/4 the way.

Help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I have no experience with an above ground pump. Could you use this pump for the filter only, having it return directly into the pond?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I use an exterior pump. Just guessing, how deep or long is the input piping? In the past I had a pump that could not draw the water though the line I had going into the pond. Long time ago, can't remember the specifics.

Some times you can get an air lock, does you input line go up out of the pond then down to the pump?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
I use an exterior pump. Just guessing, how deep or long is the input piping? In the past I had a pump that could not draw the water though the line I had going into the pond. Long time ago, can't remember the specifics.

Some times you can get an air lock, does you input line go up out of the pond then down to the pump?

Yes. It goes from a bottom drain up the side of the pond about 3.5 feet then another 10 feet to the pump and another 15 feet to the waterfall

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Your video didn't work for me.
Do you have a few pics of the pipe comming out of the pump going back to the pond.

The pipe looks like 1" to me ,

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
So I've had this problem the entire life of the pond (about 18 months) I've already replaced the pump which seemed to be fine but now this one is doing the same thing. Basically, I'm not getting proper flow through the waterfall on the filter pump.

I have two pumps, one in the skimmer and one above ground running the filter.

The filter pump is a Sequence 5800 or 5200 gph

http://www.columbiawatergardens.com..._GPH_1_8_HP_p/3600seq12pumps.htm?1=1&CartID=0

The skimmer pump is Jebao JGP20000 (5000gph)

http://www.jebaopumps.com/products.php?product=Jebao-JGP20000-(5000gph)

Just had a pond service leave and they couldn't figure it out either which is frustrating.

What happens is the flow is far too small for the size of the pump and over 3-5 hours the waterflow will eventually go to 0 and I have to turn the pump off out of fear of burning it up.

Here is a pic with the above ground pump on.

20141009_184238_zpsdaee665d.jpg

Here is a pic with both on. Massive difference in flow between the two pumps.

20141009_184313_zps5c82d7a4.jpg

Here is a quick video of the output through the filter.

Does that look normal output for this pump?

They checked the filter, the connections and swore up and down its not a clog but can't explain why the water flow is so small or why the water in the prime box only goes up about 3/4 the way.

Help!
Your video didn't work for me.
Do you have a few pics of the pipe comming out of the pump going back to the pond.

The pipe looks like 1" to me ,

I don't because it's buried but all pipe is 1.5inch

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
So what happens when the water flow gets to 0 ?

Do You turn it off , then back on , and then you get the slow flow again

Reaction score
The video did not work for me either because it is set to private. Honestly Im no expert at this but I would be checking the connections of the hoses and pipes for air leaks. Is there a spot where the pipe goes up, then down and bit, then back up? That is where an air bubble would likely collect and lose prime.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Something wrong here my friend as with this type of filter your pond should be crystal clear not a murky brownish colour, I thought you had to back flush them from time to time to clear them out , so the question is when was the last time you back flushed it to clear the gunge out of it .
You can tell that by just looking at the colour of the water, its brown and dirty it should come out running clear, this may also tie into the fact you've lost a koi in your other post.
Just a thought did you read the instructions when you first got the filter ?
If your anything like me the answer is no , my next question is do you still have the instructons , check them again to make sure your not doing things wrong?
Try Googling your problem it may have the answer your looking for

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
That looks like the same type filter we had when we had a pool. With all the gunk a pond can produce i would think you would need to back flush the filter everyday. It may be that the media gets clogged so badly in that 3 to 5 hour time window that the flow slows to nothing. Hope you are able to figure it out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Something wrong here my friend as with this type of filter your pond should be crystal clear not a murky brownish colour, I thought you had to back flush them from time to time to clear them out , so the question is when was the last time you back flushed it to clear the gunge out of it .
You can tell that by just looking at the colour of the water, its brown and dirty it should come out running clear, this may also tie into the fact you've lost a koi in your other post.
Just a thought did you read the instructions when you first got the filter ?
If your anything like me the answer is no , my next question is do you still have the instructons , check them again to make sure your not doing things wrong?
Try Googling your problem it may have the answer your looking for

Dave

When the pond guy came over on thursday he went from backwash and skipped rinse. As a result the water got really murkey because it dumped a whole bunch of sludge into the pond.. I'm wondering if that is what killed my fish. :(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
So what happens when the water flow gets to 0 ?

Do You turn it off , then back on , and then you get the slow flow again

Yes. I have to reprime the pump if I want to get it working again and then the waterfall level will again slowly fade away.

When I prime it to the top and turn it on it immediately looses about 3 inches before it stabilizes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
That looks like the same type filter we had when we had a pool. With all the gunk a pond can produce i would think you would need to back flush the filter everyday. It may be that the media gets clogged so badly in that 3 to 5 hour time window that the flow slows to nothing. Hope you are able to figure it out.

Sadly no. The pond company opened it up and cleaned it but noted it was relatively clean but no change in the waterfall level.

Ask a Question