Update on Delaware pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought some new fish to add to my pond - about a month ago. Within 2 weeks they had died. There is hardly anywhere locally to buy fish! (Newark, DE). MY ALL TIME FAVORITE was fine - but I got the feeling she was lonely. For the past few years she has hidden well when herons have attacked - and she has had BEAUTIFUL babies. I was afraid there were no males in the few fish I had to fertilize her eggs. Lately she has been completely quiet - just apparently sleeping - same spot every day. (Her name is Lucy - and she is white with a red head - like "I Love Lucy". Well she has been getting more and more lethargic - and seemed to be getting fatter. I don't see any other fish in the pond - but the only fish store around (Petcare) said I shouldn't put their fish in the pond now as it is too cold. What could be wrong? I check on her evry day and she looks like she is just paralyzed in place.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wouldn't put any non-quarantined fish into your pond regardless of the time of year. Given your situation, I wouldn't add any fish at this time. Don't worry about your fish getting lonely. It will be fine. Concentrate on water quality and getting through the winter. You might check this because I am reaching deep into memory (Ha!)..but statistically, you need at least six fish to have both genders represented. But again, I would not add any fish now and in the spring, quarantine new fish before introduction.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well what do you think is wrong with Lucy? Her lethargy worries me - and the fact she is getting plumper...

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It's possible that the water is cold enough for her to go into winter mode. Mine sit on the bottom not moving most of the winter.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I only have a Jitterbug flip phone. I have to send a text of a photo - but my husband has a good camera. MAYBE he can do it. How do you get it to the web site? Do you click the paperclip at the bottom of this box? or what?

Reaction score
Country
United States
No - not that problem. Just getting FATTER. I did take a good photo on my little flip phone. So what number do I forward it to?
I have no idea what climate zone you are in Cathy but it is possible Lucy mated with one of the new fish. Goldfish can mate late in the season if the water temperature spikes warm. But, I would be very vigilant and watch her closely. From what you relay, this is a monumental change in her behavior. She could have picked up something from the un-quarantined fish. This is especially worrisome if the fish came from a feeder or cull tank.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It is not the temps , I am 200 miles north and my fish are still eating like pigs , and swimming all over the place my last video shows this and it was just filmed last week . I do feed them this time of year and fatten them up for there long winters nap.

One possibility is in colder waters which we are nearing " below 55 " the digestive systems slow down the fish may eat but they can't function properly and they can swell or bloat.

Ask a Question