Urgent need help

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ammonia poisoning is irreversible.
There is not a lot that can be done to immediately reduce ammonia levels.
You can suspend a bag of zeolite in the pond water to adsorb the excess ammonia, but the main problem is too many fish in too small of a pond.
If you want to remove excess ammonia from your pond as quickly as possible, there can be no salt in the water.

To calculate the amount of zeolite needed, follow the following formula with your supplied readings:
Your ammonia readng= 0.5 ppm
Your water volume = 1250 litres

0.5 ppm ammonia /1.5 = 0.3
0.3 X water volume of 1250 litres
1250 X 0.3 = 375 grams.
Suspend 375 grams of zeolite in your pond to adsorb the excess ammonia in your pond.

Then wait. No feeding.
That's all you can really do.
Your biological filter needs to catch up to the extra load that the additional fish have provided.
Do not add any more fish.

The formula came from http://theaquariumwiki.com/Zeolite

Best of luck.

So this brown stuff growing/ happening to my fish is Ammonia poison? all my fish that get this, die within a day or two. This is the main concern. Even when i separate the fish into a small pre-formed ponds with a ammonia level of zero and staying near zero they die. I don't really think its my ammonia levels in my main pond is killing them. heck i just went down the block to a local creek and it had a ammonia level is higher than my pond and i don't see fish all belly up. i think its what ever this brown stuff is killing my fish. every fish that dies has this. i can post more pics of dead if that would help but i feel no one wants to see any more of my sadness going on here....

i am resolved to the fact that i will be losing all of my fish. As far as having too many fish, i no longer have that to worry about. I have two fish total left with this brown stuff on them and visible body damage. i hope this is the last of my dead fish.

Attachments

• DSCF0054.JPG
    DSCF0054.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 180
  • DSCF0055.JPG
    DSCF0055.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 225
  • DSCF0056.JPG
    DSCF0056.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 175
  • DSCF0057.JPG
    DSCF0057.JPG
    193.2 KB · Views: 171
  • DSCF0058.JPG
    DSCF0058.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 171
  • DSCF0060.JPG
    DSCF0060.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 213
  • DSCF0061.JPG
    DSCF0061.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 189
  • DSCF0065.JPG
    DSCF0065.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 214
  • DSCF0066.JPG
    DSCF0066.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 171
  • DSCF0067.JPG
    DSCF0067.JPG
    133.6 KB · Views: 174
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I understand your frustration, but your ammonia level is unhealthy.
If you are also reading ammonia levels in your local streams, then I would question the reliability of your test kit.
Anything over 0.5 ppm is toxic to freshwater organisms. That is a fact.
If your fish are under stress because of poor water quality, then they are more susceptible to infection.
The first order of business is to get your ammonia level to zero. That point is not negotiable.
Your pond needs to have a bacterial population sufficient to process any decaying organic matter, including fish waste.
Until that happens, your fish will be under stress.
Do you have an alternate method or pet store that can confirm your ammonia level?
Your local stream is not of any interest at this point.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
The foam on your pond water surface tells me that you have a high level of dissolved organics.
That is a product of excess decaying organic matter.
Until the water quality in your pond is improved, the health of your fish will not improve.
Sorry.

Ask a Question