Using sodium percarbonate to fight string algae

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Where treatments such as sodium percarbonate work primarily by killing the algae. The result is that at least some of the Phosphorus is released back into the water column. This does not happen with a Phosphorus binder. First, the algae is killed by starving it. As it decays and releases Phosphorus, the binder then renders this Phosphorus chemically neutral. End result, Phosphorus levels are returned to benign levels.

Do you recommend a particular brand? I got my water tested yesterday. Everything was perfect but the phosphorus was a little elevated. Id like to use something to get it down

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
The guy at the pond store didn't even bat an eyelash at that. He said it was elevated but nothing to be concerned about. The color seemed to be between 7.5-8ish

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
After reading this thread I went and did the clean up on my pond and put some sodium percarbonate in my pond, stream, and bog. This morning the string algae I missed last night floated up so I took them out some more. I'm hoping I dont have to re-do the treatment :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So after 3 days of putting sodium percarbornate in my pond, there's no more string algae WHOOOO!!!!

Where it was tangled in my plants, it all melt and easy to hand remove them.

BUT BUT BUT

My water hyacinths are turning YELLOW!!!! Wondering if using sodium percarbonate can cause this???

Reaction score
I have found that they start to turn yellow as the summer is beginning to end I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the treatment

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Large applications of sodium percarbonate require monitoring of pH levels. This is because soda ash is a byproduct of the dissolution of sodium percarbonate. Soda ash is highly alkaline and can affect a pH swing in sufficient quantities.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have found that they start to turn yellow as the summer is beginning to end I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the treatment
so yours are turning yellow now too?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Large applications of sodium percarbonate require monitoring of pH levels. This is because soda ash is a byproduct of the dissolution of sodium percarbonate. Soda ash is highly alkaline and can affect a pH swing in sufficient quantities.
I didnt even do water test or anything. My fish seems to be a lot more alert though. I thought it's because the water's not as warm as it used to. i'll check my water tonight.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If your water is cooling off, then your hyacinths are probably reacting to the cooler temperatures. They love it hot

Reaction score
so yours are turning yellow now too?
Yes and some leaves are starting to fall into the pond so fall is on it's way. Another thing I've noticed is that by this time in the year the koi have chewed most of the roots off so possibly that could be adding to the yellow color.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Yes and some leaves are starting to fall into the pond so fall is on it's way. Another thing I've noticed is that by this time in the year the koi have chewed most of the roots off so possibly that could be adding to the yellow color.
Thanks :) at least i'm not the cause of it lol. I dont have Koi, only goldfish and the hyacinth roots are like a mile long (actually i think about 3 feet the longest) lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
OK. I'm going to try this. I'm terrified of hurting the fish, but it sounds like this stuff won't hurt them. I"ve got to apply it to the waterfall rocks and then sprinkle it on nearly every part of the pond because it has TAKEN OVER. It is now covering every single surface, including the roots of the hyacinths, the stems of the lillies, and all rocks. GAH. Wish me luck!

Ask a Question