Using well aquifer for circulation

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello there

Very much new to this and planning for a garden pond (about 15x20ft and max 4ft deep, avg depth about 3ft)

I am trying to decide in advance how to circulate and filter the water and I see various systems and products that may work but - one thing that can't to mind that I can't seem to find any accounts of is allowing the pond to slowly drain into the same aquifer as our well and just continually top it up using the well pump.

I figure that natural drainage through the soil is an excellent way to filter and I suppose would have the added benefit of not having to necessarily use a liner ( I am thinking trees growing nearby will also be happier if there is a pond draining into the soil naturally as well)

Would likely use a float switch to control an electronic valve that allows water to flow from our well system. I suppose I would also need to find a way to get an acceptable rate of drainage so the well pump isn't running too often - I suppose I could do this by perforating the liner or if I decide not to use a liner could maybe adjust rate of drainage with bentonite?

Anyhow just wanted to get your thoughts on this to see what I may not be considering other than perhaps reducing the life of my well pump!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Have seen many folks here with leaks they are tearing their hair out trying to find. This is a first someone wants to control leaks. Great idea fundamentally but as they say on shark tank. For those reasons I'm out....

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum garoth. Sounds like you are trying to create the ground water system directly in miniature. Better off recreating it indirectly by letting the pond overflow to your yard with makeup water if needed rather than controlling a drain. This is the principle auto water change systems work on. Use an attached bog filter to mimic the ground filtration and you will have the best of both natural processes without the risk.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
doggie.gif
@garoth

Ask a Question