UV and Pond Startup

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
One would think this is my first year of ponding but it isn't. My pond is now up and running a week. Never before have I done this before March. It's 65F and water temp is 55F. Forecast is quite mild looking ahead with some possible freezing temps at night bouncing back up to 45 - 50F during the days.

Being my water is literally crystal clear ( almost want to taste it ) is it absolutely crazy to put one of my 2 UV's in before the algae bloom takes place? Yes, I'm clearly & definitely jumping the gun .... but, I'm having fun doing it and the koi don't seem to look the worse for it! :) ...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Believe me once they spawn you will see a change in the water .It never hurts to set up early .But be cautious because the uv can crack and freeze if temps drop fast at night .My pond was never shut down and this is the first year for that and pond has been in since 2004

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I never even had to put my UVs in last year. Getting some string algae in one pond so far and nothing else in the other. Just make sure you have everything ready in case green water appears.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Believe me once they spawn you will see a change in the water .It never hurts to set up early .But be cautious because the uv can crack and freeze if temps drop fast at night .My pond was never shut down and this is the first year for that and pond has been in since 2004

This UV has 2" pipe in and out and my water temp can't drop below 48F in the worst freeze so, not a problem... Please don't even mention the word spawn ...lol ...

Ask a Question