UV installed correctly?

Jkm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5-6
Country
United States
My pond uses a Savio skimmer into which my husband recently installed UV light tubes into the UV holders on each side of the skimmer. The water is supposed to be sucked in through a lower window on each side, move or spiral up the tube container, and exit from the top. The problem is the UV holders are not enclosed - when it's dark I can see both bulbs from across the pond, which means they are exposed. Which also means the water is not being contained in the UV bulb housing.
I've posted a picture of what I see through the front of the skimmer at night. Is this wrong?
20190807_203759.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Here's a photo of where the UV lights go in the most common Savio skimmer: http://watergarden.com/store/product/filters/savio/Savio-Skimmer-Filter-top-off.jpgA.jpg
If you're looking inside the weir it would not surprise me at all to see light in there. The installation is very simple, so if you want to check your partner's work, you should be able to easily using the image above. The lights just drop into the holes titled "UV Mounts" in the image. If the light bothers you, you could switch to a sealed UV unit, which are commonly made from PVC pipe and fitted inline with the pump. This light leakage you are seeing should not affect the effectiveness at clearing the water: but it could damage your eyes if you have taken to staring at it.

Jkm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5-6
Country
United States
[QUOTE If the light bothers you, you could switch to a sealed UV unit, which are commonly made from PVC pipe and fitted inline with the pump. This light leakage you are seeing should not affect the effectiveness at clearing the water: but it could damage your eyes if you have taken to staring at it.
[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what we did. A couple of 3" ABS tubes with caps at both ends, some ingenious hose fittings, and a separate pump, all in the open back space in the skimmer (it's tight). The water in the skimmer is pulled into the pump and then pushed through one tube-with-bulb, then through a short hose and through the other tube-with-bulb, then through one last hose directly into the skimmer outflow pipe that goes to the big biofilter.
In essence the water is flowing past 100W of UV at 1600 gph.
It's working well - the pond is crystal clear and you can see all the goldfish colors all the way to the bottom of the pond (5 feet). And the best part is: my husband is happy . Those bulbs are expensive!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
[QUOTE If the light bothers you, you could switch to a sealed UV unit, which are commonly made from PVC pipe and fitted inline with the pump. This light leakage you are seeing should not affect the effectiveness at clearing the water: but it could damage your eyes if you have taken to staring at it.

That's exactly what we did. A couple of 3" ABS tubes with caps at both ends, some ingenious hose fittings, and a separate pump, all in the open back space in the skimmer (it's tight). The water in the skimmer is pulled into the pump and then pushed through one tube-with-bulb, then through a short hose and through the other tube-with-bulb, then through one last hose directly into the skimmer outflow pipe that goes to the big biofilter.
In essence the water is flowing past 100W of UV at 1600 gph.
It's working well - the pond is crystal clear and you can see all the goldfish colors all the way to the bottom of the pond (5 feet). And the best part is: my husband is happy . Those bulbs are expensive!
[/QUOTE]

Quite the DYI project there. Glad you got it worked out!

Ask a Question