Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Sorry I dont agree,
I like to see my koi all the time winter or summer,
I have a deepish pond I like to see the bottom at all times, letting the water go green just sounds wrong,
it puts extra stain on the oxygen levels in the pond then extra strain on your filters,
better to keep on top of all year round,
A moderen uv takes next to no energy to run,
green water (algae) removes oxygen from the water in high temperatures so you add air stones and a compressor to add extra oxygen for the fish, more oxygen more green water,
there is not many ponds with no uv and claer water in brigt sunny conditions
If your water turns green without the use of a UV, then you have underlying problems (high nutrient levels) that need to be addressed.
Algae produces more Oxygen than it consumes regardless of temperature. It is only when it dies does Oxygen consumption rise due to decomposition processes.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
If you are happy only seeing 2 feet below the water surface then build a shallower pond this will save even more money

Three feet deep. NO UV.
HPIM0077.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Now that is most exalant, I take my hat off to you,
in England koi ponds are very clinical, deep, flat botttoms straight sides and no plant's,
so we probably do have elevated levels of neutiraants so we have to use artificial means id love to have bog gardens, plants etc but the pond is build for one purpose to keep koi,
koi will eat or destroy most plants (well they did mine and all I spoke to)
No planters, rocks or anything with rough edges on to protect the scales so our ponds are very boring it's an unwritten law

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Now that is most exalant, I take my hat off to you,
in England koi ponds are very clinical, deep, flat botttoms straight sides and no plant's,
so we probably do have elevated levels of neutiraants so we have to use artificial means id love to have bog gardens, plants etc but the pond is build for one purpose to keep koi,
koi will eat or destroy most plants (well they did mine and all I spoke to)
No planters, rocks or anything with rough edges on to protect the scales so our ponds are very boring it's an unwritten law
Have you explored the addition of a trickle tower?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
No I don't know anything about how to build one or how to install one as my pond is raised about 3 feet high walls,
but I am playing with the idea of building a long trough running the length of the pond pumping water through it and filling with low growing pond plants
2015-02-25 18.52.02.jpg

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
No I don't know anything about how to build one or how to install one as my pond is raised about 3 feet high walls,
but I am playing with the idea of building a long trough running the length of the pond pumping water through it and filling with low growing pond plantsView attachment 78869
That will certainly go a long way in eliminating your green water problem. At present you have no way of reducing the Nitrate level in your pond and it continues to build as time passes. At some point it will become high enough to begin affecting the health of the fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Do you think do you have any suggestions in water flow and what type of plants I could use, the trough could only be about 1 foot wide 10 feet long and at a max of 18 inches high,
or I could run it round the top of the pond and down one side giving a total length of 16 feet,
now you have got my mind working

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Do you think do you have any suggestions in water flow and what type of plants I could use, the trough could only be about 1 foot wide 10 feet long and at a max of 18 inches high,
or I could run it round the top of the pond and down one side giving a total length of 16 feet,
now you have got my mind working
At 18" high, you can accommodate most any plant, but the maximum width of 12" may restrict your choices. A low flow rate is most efficient as it allows more time for the plants to take up not only nutrients but also many pollutants that may, unknown to you, be in the pond water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Right then that's it the new project operation plant trough and your pond has inspired me to try and use mother nature more and less plastic and foam if I
Could get anywhere near how your pond works ill be happy

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Right then that's it the new project operation plant trough and your pond has inspired me to try and use mother nature more and less plastic and foam if I
Could get anywhere near how your pond works ill be happy
One may have a dedicated Koi pond and utilize all of Nature's processes in maintaining water quality. The current trend here in the U.S. is the incorporation of phyto-filtration as part of the filtration system in dedicated Koi ponds thereby eliminating UVs, trickle towers, ozone generators and other cumbersome devices.

Ask a Question