very worried

Reaction score
hey all, today i awoke at 5am to find half my pond caved in. we had about 3 inches of rain in an hour. a ton of sand and water were trapped behind the liner causing a huge bubble. this shortened the liner by a foot or so and it would not go to the top. pond water was leaking behind the liner. what a mess. i removed over half the water before it stopped filling from behind. just yesterday I lost one of my fish. my water was good as far as i could tell. ph 7-8. amon nill, nitrate nill, phosfate nill. everything looked good. i added dechlor to the new water and salt. one of my 15 inch butterfly is not moving . he had been in the same spot for hours now. i am very worried he will be the next to die. he did eat a little and swim in the same spot. the other fish are acting as normal. i wish i was having fun, this is very upsetting. any thoughts ? thanks in advance.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
maybe set up a small kiddy pool or something similar and set the filter up on it and move the fish to a new location. sounds like you got a mess that is going to need to be addressed and I'm afraid it's not going to be a quick fix by the sounds of it. If you lost one fish and another doesn't look good I would be worried about what has gotten in the pond that is not detectible by water testing. Insecticides, fert., unknown chemicals,???

Reaction score
to add to my worries i had to sure up one side of the pond with some concrete pavers. they are around 12 years old and have been in the weather. hopefully they will not leach anything bad into the water. i'm not sure how pesticides or fertilizer could have got in my water. I don't let anyone near the pond with anything plus i did a about a 4k water change today. thanks for the advise.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Pavers that have been out in the weather that long shouldn't leach much, at this point I think that is probably not as big a worry as other things right now, Pesticides and such I just mention to think about, I've seen some pretty weird things that have found there way in ponds over the years. With a cave in I have to think possibly something got in through the soil, but there are so many other things to could be happening as well. Just watch your fish closely, I'm trying to think what else could have caused you to lose one and another not acting right.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
wow so sorry onemean Could something have hit the fish when it caved in?

Reaction score
i don't know. she's still alive but has been in the same spot for 2 days now. she was barely moving. i feed the rest of the crew on the opposite side of the pond and she came swimming, ate her fill and then back to her corner. made me feel better as she hadn't moved at all. thanks , most other people probably think I'm nuts. i was looking for a fish doc to make a house call!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I bet the cave in scared her bad, and that is her safe spot. Give her time to calm down. At least she is eating.

With thunder my pup goes under our bed in one dark spot and won't move, her safe spot.

Reaction score
thanks all! this am she was first in line for breakfast, gobbled it up with her usual bad manners. swimming like a champ. i am very relieved. appreciate the concern. you guys rule!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
:lol:Great onemean happy for you!:lol::lol::cool::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Ask a Question