Video of my 3000 Gallon Koi Pond

Reaction score
Hi, I just joined this forum.

I built this pond in the summer of 2009..... It has been running great so far. This is in Atlanta, GA.

Here is a video

[ame]

Enjoy~

Reaction score
Hah! That's certainly an appropriate tune!

I could not tell from your video, but did you do a concrete collar and cement on your cinderblocks, or are your cinderblocks just sitting on the ground?

Also, do tell us about your filtration. Any bottom drains, etc? I do see the skimmer...

Welcome to the site! Great video!

Reaction score
The blocks were basically used as a fortified wall since I wanted my pond's edge to be leveled. I raised the wall to be leveled with the left side.

I have no bottom drains, but....

The skimmer is basically running at about 5500 gph to the main waterfall.
I also have a 3000gph pump running on the bottom of the pond to a pressurized bead filter, then to a UV clarifier, then also to the main waterfall.
At the waterfall weir, I set up a bog type of filtration where I have mats stacked and then some gravel to top it off. I've added some plants on it as well.

Everything I did was DIY besides buying the products. =D

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Nice Video..Job
Your pond looks good
& Welcome to the forum

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Very nice job, and Koi. Plants, both in and outside the pond will make this a really cool water feature.

Reaction score
poisonXvenom said:
The blocks were basically used as a fortified wall since I wanted my pond's edge to be leveled. I raised the wall to be leveled with the left side.

I have no bottom drains, but....

The skimmer is basically running at about 5500 gph to the main waterfall.
I also have a 3000gph pump running on the bottom of the pond to a pressurized bead filter, then to a UV clarifier, then also to the main waterfall.
At the waterfall weir, I set up a bog type of filtration where I have mats stacked and then some gravel to top it off. I've added some plants on it as well.

Everything I did was DIY besides buying the products. =D

Still not clear on what you are saying about your blocks. Are they cemented in or are they just sitting on the ground loose? Am asking because I am planning a similar type build and I am just north of you with the same clay soil.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Oh, and please provide brand/model or your bead filter and pump. Please advise how you like them in terms of doing their job, etc,

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Just my 2 cents here. if the soil is clay, it compacts very well and should not have much if any movement. it did look like his blocks are on the soil.
My lower pond has clay and the blocks I rimmed mine with are on top of the clay with no problems.

Reaction score
that's why I was asking. It looked like the blocks were on soil to me, too. I guess If you're not going up higher than 1 course of blocks, you're perfectly a-ok. I just can't stand the thought having to do a concrete collar and having to mortar everything in. Would rather not have to deal with that if at all possible.

Reaction score
The blocks are just sitting on the soil, but I did cement the blocks together. I added a second row of blocks and cemented that to the first row just in case it might get too much pressure. It's sturdier than you think... Just gotta cement it nicely and let it dry.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Good job poison
Its always better to be safe than sorry, on your pond walls
My raised pond blocks are mortared , re bared, wired, then poured full of concrete.
Just Because i worried about ice pushing the wrong way

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Dr Case brings up something I had not thought of since we don't get ice here. Water expands when frozen so it would be smart to rebar and concrete them in place where you have freezing seasons.

Reaction score
I agree. Tho I am in the milder winter south like our fellow poison, I have a hard time not cementing/re-barring block. I think it would be a gamble. I know there's those rataining blocks that lock into eachother and hold back soil--and I've heard of folks using nothing more than that to build pond walls--there's something about not cementing that concerns me...

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Going one block high you might get away with it, but any stacking :coffeemug:
Bags of ready mix are to easy to work with, its like buying insurance for your labor

Ask a Question