Wakin -availability?

Reaction score
I was wondering about the availability of wakin in the US. My local pond store doesn't stock them, and I was wondering if they would be available in a larger metro area,such as Pittsburgh.

The articles I've read make them sound like a nice alternative to koi in a smaller pond.

Reaction score
They are not easy to find hotspurd. I've got watonai, which are even more "fancified" then wakin. if you are truly interested in buying wakin, do let me know and I will lead you to the breeders. Be warned that you will not pay less than $30 each + shipping on top. So, if you don't have the budget, forget it. Shipping alone will be big $.

PM me if you are intetrested and I will give you two sources for wakin. Again, not cheap.

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. The budget thing is not a huge issue, but I'll probably wait season or two before making that sort of investment in fish. I want to see what sort of issues I have with water quality and predators.

What's the reason for the wakin scarcity? I'm led to believe they are a hardy fish; is breeding them that difficult?

Reaction score
They are pond hardy. Consider Watonai, too. They look exactly like Wakin except they have long flowy fins. I had 6 and sold 3, so I now have 3 left. They are really beautiful in the water and also pond hardy.

In Japan, Wakin and Watonai are considered like a comet here in the US. Very prevalent and nothing special. Here in the US, however, they are harder to come by.

Ask a Question