Walking on Gravel on Top of Liner?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Mine bounce down the hill (and off the retaining wall) and into the pond. They go "rustle rustle" as they fall through the leaves overhead (and I dodge around with my arms overhead braced for impact), then "crack", as they hit the stone/concrete, then "plook!" into the pond! I must have picked up 5000 acorns this year already. Thankfully most do not land in the pond, but when they do, they hide really well under the pump and prefilter. I think before they just rolled all the way down the hill, but now that I have built nice flat terraces, the acorns have a nice landing zone. I'm hoping the weed barrier cloth I have for my next landscaping project is acorn proof, as I'm sure I missed a few and they got raked into the dirt when leveling.
I'm betting that you have a wild troop of dastardly squirrels who sit up high in the Oaks & throw those things down at you. They're probably betting with each other who can score as many direct to the head shots & bonus points for how many can get bounced into the pond! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I'm betting that you have a wild troop of dastardly squirrels who sit up high in the Oaks & throw those things down at you. They're probably betting with each other who can score as many direct to the head shots & bonus points for how many can get bounced into the pond! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
I have chipmunks and squirrels. Been trying to trap the little bastards with no success. One of the squirrels lives in the attic space and chews on things in the walls sometimes. Landlord is the world's most passive home owner (we also currently have a sewer leak out in the road and he's trying to blame everyone else so he doesn't have to pay for the repairs). I just pray the whole place doesn't burn down one day when I am not at home to save my cats (rodents chewing electrical wiring in the walls is bad)! I have renter's insurance but my cats are my life.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Before we got fish or ever intended to get fish, I was hoping to get frogs to come to our new patio pond like we always did with our little 50 gal front pond (our back pond is 1800 gal). The front pond was a pain because it was only 18 in deep and any frogs that stayed to winter died. So, that meant a whole process in Nov of shutting the pond down, and rescuing the frogs and taking them to the large neighborhood natural pond, etc etc. Now that we have a "big" pond I thought, hey I'm going to make a whole base of sand and gravel for them to bury themselves in for winter so I poured a bunch of sand and smooth round pebbles etc on the deepest level (40-42 inches). I thought I was simulating a natural situation more closely as opposed to having a manmade bottom (just liner). Should I remove the sand and stuff so that there is only a smooth liner on the bottom? Our water is crystal clear at this time and every so often I just stir up the bottom and the aerator mixes the gunk which gets taken to the biofilters.
Hi and welcome. I was wondering what type of frogs you were hoping to get. I don’t really like bullfrogs because they get too big and eat “everything “ but love green frogs and other small frogs. The frogs I have had in the past always seem to wander away no matter how good they had it at my pond!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have chipmunks and squirrels. Been trying to trap the little bastards with no success. One of the squirrels lives in the attic space and chews on things in the walls sometimes. Landlord is the world's most passive home owner (we also currently have a sewer leak out in the road and he's trying to blame everyone else so he doesn't have to pay for the repairs). I just pray the whole place doesn't burn down one day when I am not at home to save my cats (rodents chewing electrical wiring in the walls is bad)! I have renter's insurance but my cats are my life.
Yikes! I've had to deal with squirrels in an attic of our previous home. NO fun! Fortunately they (well, she) didn't chew anything but the insulation to make a nice, warm nest in which to raise her babies :rolleyes: We were able to trap & relocate the family, as well as squirrel-proof the vent that they were coming in through. Good times, good times... not!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Well... My pond has gravel all over the bottom & I wander around in it all the time. No issues with liner punctures here. It is a smooth, rounded "river gravel" and not a sharp type of stone in there, so I'm sure that would make a difference.
Same here!

Ask a Question