Was it the ducks in the Ballroom with the wrench?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
when I first put my water in it took over a week for it to clear up some and then by week 3 it was really clear .Nothing ever gets clear as fast as it gets dirty .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
sissy said:
when I first put my water in it took over a week for it to clear up some and then by week 3 it was really clear .Nothing ever gets clear as fast as it gets dirty .

.LOL words to live by.

PS_0739W_GUTTER.jpg

I think tomorrow though I'm going to remove all the plants and repot anget the seaweed off of them to avoid this in the future

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
All those years of playing Clue as a child has paid off! I accuse the Ducks in the upper pond with the webbed feet!

And here is the proof! I took this from my security cameras. I've patched 2 clips together to show you the progression but clearly the ducks are the culprit. All you have to do is watch the pond water change in the upper pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep you could see it start out clear and then w/ them rummaging around in there it clouded right up! They sure do love it in there tho and look so cute.................it would be a shame to kick them out but what can you do? Are they getting their beaks down in your plant pots? If so maybe you could put a bunch of heavy rocks on top of the soil so they can't get down into it. Or is it just the muck on the bottom they are kicking up or is it the poop? Could they poop that much in just a couple minutes tho to make the water that cloudy. Hmmmmmmmmmmm?

Reaction score
Dang, those were some dirty ducks. Bet they were hoping you had soap and towels laid out for them. Next time you should charge a room rate :LOL:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
j.w said:
Yep you could see it start out clear and then w/ them rummaging around in there it clouded right up! They sure do love it in there tho and look so cute.................it would be a shame to kick them out but what can you do? Are they getting their beaks down in your plant pots? If so maybe you could put a bunch of heavy rocks on top of the soil so they can't get down into it. Or is it just the muck on the bottom they are kicking up or is it the poop? Could they poop that much in just a couple minutes tho to make the water that cloudy. Hmmmmmmmmmmm?
Well I repotted all the plants today and I must say they were WAY overdue. Smelled horrible. Gray gluelike soil was everywhere. And every one of them was rootbound. I used heavy clay soil (around here I just dug in my backyard :D ) and tried to separate the roots as best I could. Dont know if it will work but I'm giving it a shot. I think one of the reasons it got so nasty so fast was specifically because of this nasty smelly gray like mud in each of the pots as well as this "pond plant soil" which looked like gravel and I had a heck of a time getting it off along with the seaweed on each plant.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
gardengimp said:
Dang, those were some dirty ducks. Bet they were hoping you had soap and towels laid out for them. Next time you should charge a room rate :LOL:
LOL The hotel is closed. Sadly I'm having to cover up the top pond again because of them :(

One question. Since all the plants have been repotted is the danger of them kicking up that amount of nasty cloudy water still a risk?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If you mean just the pots sitting there w/ new soil then it might cloud up a bit at first but should settle down very soon. If the ducks can't get in then your problem will hopefully be fixed. After awhile when the ducks find they can't get in you might be able to take the cover off but at first sign of ducks cover goes back on again fast.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
hahahaha I'm hoping my blue heron netting shows up soon so at least I can see through the netting!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The ducks where just doing a cleaning job for you, stirring up the water and the bottom and the plants....................

Ask a Question