water changes during winter months?

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Sunshine said:
I'm in Ohio, I've never done a water change in the winter. The fish aren't producing much waste. I would think that would stress them too much. I do a big water change before winter. Than again in the spring.
Actually... Although at a lower rate, they are still producing waste both ammonia and carbon dioxide and also winter algae will continue to produce carbon dioxide and consume some of the ammonia as well. Fish stock density and chemical dilution and keeping a relatively clean pond prior to Winter will really determine whether ammonia, carbon dioxide, hydrogen sulfide gas, and other pollution becomes a problem.

I would imagine most folk, that practice good pond husbandry, would be completely fine with never doing a water change during Winter.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
bettasngoldfish said:
Yes, I do have a pond test kit. Didn't even think about testing the water over the winter.... :rolleyes:

I'm just letting this whole winter thing kinda freak me out.

Thanks for the suggestion :)

Yeah, most, not all, of your bio-filter/pond's bacteria will be dormant or dead during the winter. So, even with my clean pond which is stocked above normal, I have seen a slight increase in Ammonia, but I never have seen an increase in Nitrite nor Nitrate during Winter.

If you are keeping good water circulation, then the carbon dioxide and other gases is not a problem. So, just test the water for Ammonia once every two weeks or once a month or so.

Keep in mind that Ammonia is converted into the safe, less toxic to fish, de-ionized form of ammonium (NH4+). So, any accumulation of ammonium may not hurt the fish depending on your water's pH. However, as Spring comes along, if the ammonia is still noticeable and the water suddenly warms up during the Winter, then this safe ammonium is quickly converted to toxic ammonia and then there are going to be problems. I would only do a water change if this occurs to any significant extent. Water changes will also increase the water temperature of your pond so you want to be careful to not shock your fish by a change in water temperature. Also, to have any impact in pollution dilution, you will have to do at least a 40% water change. So, if you choose to do it, then do it slowly. To avoid a water temperature jump from the water change, first, empty 40% of the pond's water, and, then, slowly trickle the new water into the pond and be sure to add some dechlorinator beforehand (if necessary). However, only do this prior to Spring or prior to a sudden Winter warm-up and if your water tests indicate a significant accumulation of Ammonia. Personally, I would not do a water change during Winter unnecessarily "just because".

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Thanks for the info. diselplower. I was taught that the ammount of ammonia "exhaled" via fish respiration was negligable. I can see how it could build up to unhealthy levels in a small tank or pond though - especially combined with ammonia producing fish waste and other debris.

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I did 1 water change mid winter as the ammonia was high. Only about 500-750 gal of 6500. Also topped up the water 2 twice. No harm in this.

Ask a Question