water changes poll

Check the most accurate assessment on your water changes. You may select only 1.

• never do waterchanges...just top offs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • once a week or more. if more please explain in post

Votes: 23 53.5%
  • every 2 weeks

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Below options are Monthly, Do not vote this line.

• 5% - !0%

• 10% - 15%

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • 15% - 20%

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • 20% - 25%

Votes: 3 7.0%
  • more than 25%.....on a regular basis?

• dont know..someone else maintains pond!

• Total voters

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about the urethane glue. I worry about not knowing what has been deposited on your roof by mother nature and it's critters, that will eventually get into your pond.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well we will be the test subject , if whatever fish we put in have an issue will let you all know. Our water comes off clear, no black stuff.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Addy
You might be in an area that has little pollutants. Others may not be as lucky.

For example, when we were in China, the sky had a black cloud almost everywhere we went, except in the mountains. This is because they use coal for most of their electrical power plants. This was also true in Georgia years ago. Pennsylvania also has a lot of industry. This is a source of pollutants that create acid rain. Hydrogen sulphide precipitates from sulphur. It is also emitted by paper mills and other industries.

You can't do a controlled test for the members we have worldwide, from a single location. Your test is only valid for your location.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i live outside DETROIT...3 days of heavy rain in 2008 dropped my ph from 7.2 to 6.8....heavy acidic rain. since then no other occuraces. i use crushed oyster shells to buffer my p.h every since.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
DrDave said:
Addy
You might be in an area that has little pollutants. Others may not be as lucky.

For example, when we were in China, the sky had a black cloud almost everywhere we went, except in the mountains. This is because they use coal for most of their electrical power plants. This was also true in Georgia years ago. Pennsylvania also has a lot of industry. This is a source of pollutants that create acid rain. Hydrogen sulphide precipitates from sulphur. It is also emitted by paper mills and other industries.

You can't do a controlled test for the members we have worldwide, from a single location. Your test is only valid for your location.[/QUOTE}

everybody has to make up their own mind as to what to do,

I am just saying I will let you all know how our fish do if we add fish, this is our little test area. The frogs are loving the water so far.

Obviously one area is totally different than another area.

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
DrDave, you've got a great point. Smoggy areas would worry me, too. I'm in a pretty rural area, the nearest city of any size is Atlanta, GA. Pollen in spring is about the worst thing on my roof, and I filter that out anyway. Thanks for the caution, though. Glad I'm not in a problem area.

Reaction score
the water runs off of the roofs and ends up in our drinking water is typically run through a treatment plant, or it seeps down to wells, in which case the earth and rocks it runs through clean it and clarify it, and add beneficial minerals.

now I do know that many shingles do have moss killer in them especially up here in the northwest where it is so damp all the time. I dont believe this is good for water in general. There are many times people live directly next to a river or lake and use the moss be gon powder not even thinking where its going to end up.

Personally I would not use my run off, i might test it first with cheaper fish over a year or something to see;

FredrikAnderson

Koi Herder
Reaction score
I have a 350gal pond and about 450gal system. In the spring and summer I change out about 40gal a day. I have set up my garden irrigation system to pull water fresh out of the filter and before the water is ran through the water lettuce. I added a additional 55gal barrel as a holding tank to manage this. I have 2 RO filters that auto top off my pond so I never see the any kind of drop in the level of the pond. And better yet I never have to do anything. Garden gets Nit rich water. Pond gets a 40gal water change. I get to sit next to the pond and watch the fish. Gotta love it.

Reaction score
FredrikAnderson said:
I have a 350gal pond and about 450gal system. In the spring and summer I change out about 40gal a day. I have set up my garden irrigation system to pull water fresh out of the filter and before the water is ran through the water lettuce. I added a additional 55gal barrel as a holding tank to manage this. I have 2 RO filters that auto top off my pond so I never see the any kind of drop in the level of the pond. And better yet I never have to do anything. Garden gets Nit rich water. Pond gets a 40gal water change. I get to sit next to the pond and watch the fish. Gotta love it.[/QUOTE

Neat system!

I used reverse osmosis water when I raised freshwater discus, but i reconstituted the water to mimic the Amazon black water tributaries. In other other words bad stuff out good stuff in

I still have the 250 gallon per day system but a cursory research into using it for ponding ordered that I not use it. Strips everything out which is not good. Do you just use the straight RO for all your makeup water?

Ask a Question