Water Changes

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
That's a much more comprehensive study than the one I was looking at.
10 years newer, too.(y)

Yes. In that 10 years science has developed methods to identify more species, clades and varieties.
Books are good, but this is a prime example of why I prefer scientific documents. They are much more current and comprehensive.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
One thing that should be noted about that study is that is takes samples from a number of lakes in the northern hemisphere only, and in the study it states that the diversity of the bacteria noted in the study is high because of varying environmental conditions from the group of lakes as a whole.

It would take into account conditions such as surface runoff and different wildlife that frequent the different lakes, conditions that our domestic ponds do not have.

The point is that my pond may have different bacteria than a pond in Florida. Moose that frequent my pond, for example, may feed different bacteria than wildlife indigenous to Florida would feed different bacteria in a Florida pond.
Aerial dispersal of bacteria was expected to be equal to all ponds studied.
Food for thought.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
One thing that should be noted about that study is that is takes samples from a number of lakes in the northern hemisphere only, and in the study it states that the diversity of the bacteria noted in the study is high because of varying environmental conditions from the group of lakes as a whole.

It would take into account conditions such as surface runoff and different wildlife that frequent the different lakes, conditions that our domestic ponds do not have.

The point is that my pond may have different bacteria than a pond in Florida. Moose that frequent my pond, for example, may feed different bacteria than wildlife indigenous to Florida would feed different bacteria in a Florida pond.
Aerial dispersal of bacteria was expected to be equal to all ponds studied.
Food for thought.
The identifiable species of bacteria will certainly differ from one biome to another, but the diversity of species would likely not vary more than a few hundred (if that) either way.
Many, many specie are yet unidentified and remain un-named usually given only the clade and a number. Some are given proposed names. Still others are only acknowledged as existing and unidentified. It is anyone's guess what the true numerical limit of different bacteria is in any eco-system--terrestrial or aquatic.That number is surely quite high, though.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Right.
I had no idea that so much was still unknown about bacteria in our aquatic environments.
A little while ago I came across a study that examined bacteria that consumed DOC.
The published date was 1969, if I remember correctly.

Ask a Question