Water Clarity

FXM

Reaction score
:alieneyesa::surfing:My pond is now 3 weeks old. I have the complete Aquascape Bio-Filter/Falls kit. It looks and sounds unbelievable. After two weeks of putting a daily dose of the Aquascape product for new ponds the water was crystal clear. Now since, that regimen has finished my water is not as clear. Is this normal for a new pond?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
what kind of "less clear" is going on? brown coloration, green coloration, milky(tan or grayish), is there particulants in the water? have you been cleaning the filter? with all the rocks they put in the water had to start off muddy is that whats happening and what is the start up product they gave you bacteria, a flocculant or what?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If it is cloudy, that is a bacteria bloom and when the Bio kicks in, that will clear up overnight. Give it a couple more weeks.

FXM

Reaction score
Hmm, now that I think of it I have another question you folks might assist me with? The water clarity is sort of cloudy. As mentioned previously, the pond is only three weeks old and is an Aquascape Bio-Filter/Waterfall system. I noticed a photograph that I took of the pond about two weeks ago showing a tremendous flow of water from the falls. When I checked this morning the flow from the watefall is not as forceful. What could be the problem? This could be why my water is cloudy. Any answers as to why the watefall is not flowing correctly.

F.X.:alieneyesa:

FXM

Reaction score
I have a bag of lava rock sitting in the Bio-Falls right now. How would that clog the falls?

Thanks for getting back to me so fast!
FXM:alieneyesa:

PS3

Reaction score
lava rocks tend to clog. but dont use water from the hose use water from the pond
to just throw it over the rocks or may be there us something cloging

FXM

Reaction score
Can I just pick up the mesh bag of lava rocks out of the bio-falls and replace? How would lava rocks get clogged? Does this thing happen often?

FXM:alieneyesa::alieneyesa::alieneyesa::surfing:

FXM

Reaction score
What would you reccomend to replace the lava rocks? If I use the "bio balls" would I only have to replace the lava rocks. Do the bio balls ever clog? Do they ever need cleaning as well?:alieneyesa::alieneyesa::surfing:
FX

Reaction score
you can use really cheap and lightweight media like 1/2" poly strapping. You buy it on ebay inexpensively. Do a search on this site for strapping, and you'll see it.

If you search the thread in Pond construction for my 5,000g pond build, you will see the strapping. It will be much cheaper than bio balls.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Have you checked your pump to make sure it is not clogged or restricted with something

FXM

Reaction score
Right you are Doctor! My pump was clogged with those "little whirly bird" pollen leaves from maple trees. Spring is Here I Hear! Those little buggers are so small they slip through the netting of the skimmer. Up and running and clear as ever! Anyone ever have this problem with "tree whirly bird leaves"? Any suggestions to keep this from happening again?

F.X.:alieneyesa::alieneyesa::alieneyesa::surfing:

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
just clean it when it gets slow
they dont fall for long

Ask a Question