Water Hyacinths

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Well it seems that I have come up with a weird way to make my hyacinths bloom.

Because I've been changing things in and around the pond lately, I have a minor, temporary dead spot (poor circulation) in the shallow end of my pond. This is where my hyacinths are.

So I started doing my water top offs from that end and flushing the slightly stale water towards the deep end where the pump is located. To stop all the hyacinths from being pushed to that end I just grabbed them and tossed them (literally) up onto the rocks at the sides of the pond. I finished my top off and tossed the plants back into the shallow end.

I went out the next day and the plants were blooming. That's when I posted the message earlier in this thread stating that "I spoke to soon" and "my hyacinths were blooming". Well, I've done the same thing two more times and have gotten the same results! It seems that maybe these plants like to be thrown around a bit (LOL). Either that or they like the cold water from the hose rinsing out their roots. If I top off from the deep end I get no blooms.

I think starting tomorrow I'm going to try doing the top offs daily to see if I can encourage continuous blooms.

Again I'm confused but happy!:7_5_1311:

Ask a Question